1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zep cover... me and the kids

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassman134, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi,
    I'm starting to get back into recording. Both my kids are learning and play with my cover band on occasion, so I am using recording as a way of improving their musicianship and to get them to understand the difference between recording and performing music. This is our first "demo", "What is and should never be" which was a learning assignment from my sons drum teacher, and also one of my favorite bass lines. I'd like to see what you think. Feel free to be critical of the production, I am working on my drum mic'ing and overall production and mixing skills.

Some productions notes:

Drums - My 11 year old Son - Tama Rockstar kit, two Behringer C2 OHs, SM57 on the snare, and Pyle pro (I know) tom and kick mics(I have a brand new D112 that just came in the mail). The drums are unedited, that's him 4th take, straight through no click.

Vocals - My 13 year old daughter. Go easy on her, she hates zeppelin. I bribed her with promising to let her pick the next song. (Titanium). Since it was a series of kind of scratch vocals while she was figuring out the song, its more or less all comped together. It got me to re-learn the ins and out of Melodyne, so there is some (but not a lot) of pitch correction.

Guitars/Bass - me .. Bass player who plays some guitar. I bought a slide just for this. '72 Country Gentleman, Musicman Stingray 5 and a touch of Fernades strat for some doubling. Guitars played via a Johnson J-station direct, using what I think is a Marshall Amp Sim, and the Bass right into the board.

Interesting lesson learned. A hollow-body guitar recorded in front of loud monitors will act as a microphone. Note the stick count bleed through in the end guitar parts. I was too lazy to re-record after i figured out that's where they were coming from.

Thanks for listening.. enjoy!

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Cool. Reminds me of Zeppelin meets the Go Gos. And I mean that in a good way!

3. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    Ha! Cool stuff! I grew up on SI. My boy too is 11, and plays the drums, learning Zep too getting a good solid drummin format. I really dig your bass tone sounds slightly driven. and of course the drummin is great, funny hearing the roar of the music and then this angelic voice piping in . sweet!

4. Kinda cute..

5. Thanks, just using what I have to work with.. and makes me smile every time I listen. We are going to do more appropriate material soon, and she is writing her own stuff. Was funny, she made me agree to never ask about where her lyrics came from or what inspired them. Have to put on my Producer hat, not the Dad hat.