Zeta Educator v Azola Gypsy v Azola Lightning Bug

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by pdeon99, Jan 3, 2006.

1. pdeon99

Oct 8, 2005
    Both the Zeta Educator Crossover and Azola Gypsy have 35" (or nearly so) string length. Does anyone have experience in a direct comparison of the sound between these two? Notably, is one significantly less fretless-sounding (more URB-sounding) than the other?

I'm also interested in the sound difference between the 35" Azola Gypsy and the 41" Azola Lightning Bug.

(I understand that you can't get URB sound from an EUB, let alone a short scale EUB - but you know . . . always looking for the best compromise.)
  2. I have the Zeta Jazz Standard Uprite, it's full scale, not short like the crossover. I've been pretty happy with the tone. With a little tweaking of the EQ and I usually run it thru an old Ampeg Portaflex (nice old tube amp), I can get a pretty good tone. It bows pretty good too.

I've played upright for about 16 years, and no it's not an upright, nothing but the real thing is...but this is a heck of alot easier to carry. ;)