1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zod ID D.I. - anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bass12, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I was just reading about the Zod ID bass D.I. on Gearslutz.com and was wondering if anyone here has any experiences with them.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    KneelZod.

Huh. Guess he's diversifying into music gear. Who knew?

JFOC likes this.
  3. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is essentially a REDDI copy.

REDDI DI

svtb15 likes this.
  4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The comments I read on Gearslutz indicated that it was not a REDDI copy. I don't know how reliable the posters on Gearslutz are though (it's not a site I frequent).

5. Mark Reccord

I think if you read through that groupdiy thread you might reach the conclusion I did. It's pretty long and technical so I totally understand if you don't read it. The guy who started it is the guy behind Zod... I'm not 100% certain but it does look like it is pretty much a clone of the REDDI, with a different OT and probably some tweaked component values. It uses the same tube, has about the same gain, same controls, etc.

bass12 likes this.
  6. Mark Reccord

Yeah, the specs shown on Zod's site are exactly the same as those on a schematic posted on that groupdiy thread which is a very mildly tweaked version of the REDDI circuit. The overall circuit is exactly the same with a few slight deviations in component values. That's not to say the Zod isn't good or even better than the REDDI but it was almost certainly designed by reverse engineering that product.

bass12 likes this.
  7. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Its a REDDI copy/clone. Even though GEARSLUTZ claims otherwise.

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I know nothing about electronics but that does seem to be likely, according to Mark's link above. I understand using existing schematics to further develop a sound (if there's something that person feels is lacking in the original) but if it's just a rip off then I'm not interested.

9. Mark Reccord

@svtb15: Were you already aware of this?

I went back and read through the groupdiy thread again and compared schematics and assuming the schematic in post 236 is the ZOD schematic, it is exactly the same as the REDDI one in post 67 save for the OT.

bass12 likes this.
  10. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for taking the time to do that.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    I've been aware of it ..

12. Mark Reccord

Cool, so it's not just me, then. The groupdiy thread pretty much confirms it.

svtb15 likes this.
  13. Mark Reccord

No problem. I've been following that thread for a couple of years and never thought anything of it until I googled the ZOD DI after reading your original post about it and realized that the guy behind it started the thread and even posted pics of his prototype in it. I have an interest in the tube DI market because I'm working on my own design (not a clone, BTW :D) so I always search ones that pop up that I wasn't aware of before.

@svtb15 I noticed you posted on the GS thread, that shouldn't start much of a poopiestorm... You should link the groupdiy thread. :D

svtb15 and bass12 like this.
  14. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Have you heard a Zod D.I.?

15. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    I am a DI whore.. I've owned almost every one out there, Evil twin. UA. fearn, Demeter, Aguilar, BAE, Countryman, Klark Teknik, Radial, The Brick, etc etc.. It became very costly looking for my Holy Grail.. And i found it with my REDDi. I even bought a 2nd one. One for the road and one for my small home studio./
    Im sure the zod is a nice unit, However I have found my holy Grail in my Reddi. I'm not a weekend warrior player.. Sometimes i wish i were. But i gig it almost every day..

I opened up a zod and saw inside.. My friend that brought his zod to my gig showed up late to my soundcheck.. So i did not hear it. However about a month later he went and bought a REDDI..
    Does that help you?
    Like i said , I'm sure its a nice unit but im done chasing the new flavour of the month.. I did that when i was younger and ambitious :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    bass12 likes this.
  16. RRR

RRR Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
  17. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA

Oct 6, 2007
    Zod DI ID has 26db of gain and the REDDI has 16 Db of gain. It is handy to use as a PReamp to very hot mics. I use it for my Bass and also my C12 before my Weight Tank Compressor which adds the remainder gain I need. Imparts a really nice colour. I kind of like it for more than just a DI. Very Handy.

18. Mark Reccord

The ZOD is literally the same circuit as the REDDI. Despite the 16dB "gain range" spec on the A-Designs site, the REDDI does indeed have a maximum of 26dB gain. I know this because on that groupdiy thread I linked to above, someone reverse engineered and then posted the schematic of the REDDI and 26dB is consistent with what you'd expect from a 6N1P in that circuit and is what I got when I worked the numbers out. This is not to say that the ZOD isn't good, but it is definitely a clone of the REDDI with a different output transformer. It's all there in that thread.