Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zon basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    can anybody tell me more about the zon legacy standard? mainly neck measurements because i'm looking for something in the j shape neighborhood.

how do these sound? i have a modulus flea bass and a stingray and i've been looking for something that sort of combines the stability of graphite with the growl of wood....and i hear that zon necks do that quite well.

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    whoops, i just did some research and realized that the standard one isn't made anymore, looks like it's just elite.

nevertheless, anyone that has a standard one please feel free to comment.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the Legacy has more of a P-bass shaped neck if I remember right. The Sonus series is more along the lines of a "j-bass" neck shape.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Do yourself a favor, e-mail or call Joe & see if he'll custom build a "Legacy Standard" for you. It might cost a few $$$ but well worth it if you're into graphite...

~S~

PS: Here's mine...

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    just some first hand experiance: talking to joe about a custom anything is the smoothest, best process you can go through. hes a really swell dude, and really has no problem feilding questions and helping you get the zon you want.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i was thinking of doing that...just wasn't sure if he was into doing custom work like that or not. i just want something really basic..., no fancy tops or fancy wood or anything...just something that's built solid with that zon neck. hopefully it can be within my price range.

beautiful bass by the way.

thanks.

7. Joe's composite neck is really cool. It does include graphite, but there is wood mixed in there as well. It's a great balance between definition and warmth.

8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    well i sent joe an email so we'll see what he says.

one thing im worried about: lack of truss rod

i live in new england and the neck on my modulus has moved a tiny bit...not that much, but enough for me to notice a difference. now im not so sure about this.

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    You gotta be kiddin' me? Listen, I'm "truss free" & my Zon has been all over the world in every kind of temp & enviorment. It never gave me ONE bit of any trouble from head to toe. Suit yourself...

~S~

10. You should post a question in Michael Manring's forum asking if he's had any problems with no truss rod.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The trussrod is un-necessary in these basses. The neck won't budge at all, and you can basicly set the bass up to have the strings just above the frets if you like. The only thing I've noticed is that some may prefer going to a slightly heavier tension string for low action play. Some of the light tension strings will give you quite a bit of clack if your technique isn't super light in touch.

12. That is very accurate. It took me a while to get use to the very low action on the Zon and will definitely consider a higher tension string for my next set.