1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon Sonus Custom ‘grub’ Screws?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Therminal, May 15, 2018.

1. Therminal

Therminal

Apr 11, 2011
    Hello everyone. Apologies if I had posted this sometime ago; I have a memory of maybe doing so but I dunno...

It’s simply this: I have a Zon Sonus Custom 4, and one of the grub screws - specifically, when looking at the bridge from above, with each saddle having a pair of these for adjusting string height, it’s the one on the right that’s gone missing. It’s been hard, but with the case gone cold and having dealt with the guilt, it is time for me to move on.

So I need help in finding a replacement. It’s black, as is the bridge (as well as the whole bass - spinal tap be dammed), but if push comes to shove, color doesn’t matter, as long as it fits and I’m able to do my adjustments as usual. The only thing I’ve really come across that may help, is that a 1.5mm hex key is used to adjust it.

This has to be shippped internationally, and with that (and the costs associated), I’m wondering if - as an example, if I could get it at a store that sells other items, that may be more ‘sensible’ in terms of the costs involved (in particular I’m looking for the Hipshot detuner that allows for 2 drop ‘places’... you know what I mean - that has to match the existing Gotoh style ones).. and i’m also looking for a full 3x3 set of Sperzel locking tuners (guitar tuners) but I can’t seem to find them anywhere, at least not the customised ones that you can see on their website, but I guess that’s for another forum....?

Then why did you mention it? I dunno. Uhhhh.. what’s that? I’ll be over here. K.

Honestly any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Trevor

Edited cos I’m an idiot who posts too quick. I bet there’s moee typos. Apologies in advance.
    Edit 2 - there were.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Do you have photos of the bridge?
    Do you know what the screw size and pitch are?

3. Therminal

Therminal

Apr 11, 2011
    Hi fhm555

I don’t have any photos right now but I can take some if it’ll really help. It’s just the regular stock Zon bridge which features on their website.

In regards to screw size, I’m not sure what you mean but I’m thinking you mean the grub screw I’m looking for. With that In mind, and with “maybes” out of the way, what I do know for sure is that in Zon’s users guide, and elsewhere, it’s indicated that to adjust the height for a specific string, that would be done by manipulating the grub screws in question, working clockwise to raise the saddle and counterclockwise to lower it [edit: or is that the other way around?] simultaneously, paying attention to the string’s position relative to the curvature / radius of the neck.

This is a 4 string bass and Im sure I’ve heard somewhere that Zon doesn’t make their own bridges from scratch, and that they are instead made for Zon by another company (which one exactly, I dunno) which would make make sense. Anyway on this particular bridge, each string rests on a saddle that has 2 of these grubs (the right one is the one missing, the one I’m looking to buy) - and specifically, they all say use a 1.5mm hex key to make adjustments, such as previously described.

This key (or wrench?) by the way, was included when I got the bass, and I stilll have it alongside others which are the same. Just this alone leads me to believe that there is probably a company which sells that exact bridge, just without the Zon logo debossed at the back. That’s why I figured I’m looking in the wrong places, but this grub can be bought. It’s jus the where, when, how much etc that I’m looking for, mainly.

Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what pitch is in this scenario. In any case, thanks so much for your help!

4. Therminal

Therminal

Apr 11, 2011
    My other half came up with this.... like duhhhh. Dunno why I didn’t think of it. This is verbatim - copied from Zon’s website:

Adjusting Your Bass

Can’t believe I missed that!

Cheers
    Trevor (and Calista)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021