Zoom 506 Bass Multi-effect pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by weeding, Jul 14, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    What do you guys think of this baby? Considering grabbing a second hand one, it's in good condition (5 yo). Thoughts please
  2. I actually have the 506II which is most likely what you are talking about. I did a review of it under the gear review section also.
    First off I'm not really into effects a whole lot but I do like the 506. There are quite a few effects although I use the compression and chorus only, and thats when I need it. It sounds good to me set at about 6 and it doesn't color the tone alot. The chorus sounds good as well when applied lightly to a song. The rest I cannot tell you about because I don't need them.
    Based on what I use I have never heard any hiss or unwanted sound I could attribute to the unit itself.
    There is not a dedicated on/off switch, when you plug in the bass it powers up from either batteries or an optional power supply. I use batteries, 4 AA, and have used the unit for about 15-20 hours without any notice of them dying. I do change them once a month though.
    Overall for what I payed, equipment trade of about $80.00, I like it. It is very simple to operate and small enough to fit in the top pouch of my gig bag.
    Any questions let me know I will help as best as I can. :cool:
  3. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I have the 506II as well and it's a decent pedal to have around. I have a special eq setting to bump up the mids on my passive fretless and integrate compression. I also use the vintage bass selection (which is on the 506) on some old songs I play, it's got a nice tube-like sound. I know a lot of bass players with one because they always seem to find one or two effects that work well with their needs. I've dropped mine and beat it up and it still works fine.

You might have the manual for the 506, but just in case:
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got one. I wasn't too fussed with the factory pre-set patches, though there were a couple that I kept. Most of my patches are designed from the ground up by me. I basically categorise them into "musical" patches, and "non-musical".

For "musical patches", I've currently got 2 very good Auto Wha patches (one for fingerstyle and a different one for slapping), a chorusy patch, an overdrive which I modelled on my sansamp, a patch for using a pick, patch for octave down, a fretless simulation patch, and a patch which is a combination of octave up effect and reverb that almost sounds like a string section when I play high notes. I use this for example to replicate the cello's in the introduction of "Shimmer" by fuel.

Non-musical patches..... well they're pretty useless, but they're fun..
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I have the original Zoom 506 in a box somewhere- everyone got one when they came out and Bass Player gave them a great review about eight years ago. In general they sucked a lot of the bottom out of your tone.

I loved mine and used the hell out of it, but I'm not very picky about effects. Each effect sounded like it's own weird sound. If you're looking for effects that take your existing tone and add an effect to it, but maintain your tone (like most better pedals should), this won't do it. It is fun though, and can make some interesting sounds.

You shouldn't pay more than $30 for one though.
    GuitarRebel likes this.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I used to have one, and I agree with the others. It's a great little unti for the money!! For some strange reason, the patches I used the most were in B and C...and I loved E!!!!