1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom b3 compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arginator, Mar 2, 2013.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Any good? How do they compare to the real deal?

johnny_bolt likes this.
  2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I think they're pretty good. In fact, I think the Dynacomp model is significantly better than a real Dynacomp.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have some basic sound clips of factory compressor settings on my B3 page here: http://www.cgraham.com/chris/music/bass/zoom_b3/

I think they range from OK-to-not-terrible. They don't really seem to have the smoothness and fullness of a real high quality hardware compressor. Perfectly good for live use.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm a little over a week into the B3 and mostly working with the factory defaults. IME almost all the effects are decent but the factory settings are a little over the top. I need to back off the outputs often as the volume jump is beyond workable in a live setting. So audition and tweak seems to be the order of the day...

johnny_bolt likes this.
  5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The compressors are pretty decent. I personally like the m comp. it's a compressor model with a more natural sound. I also like the limiter model. it makes patches sound smoother.

Guiseppe likes this.
  6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I like the N comp as well. I wouldn't call it natural sounding but that may be due to my settings. It has a darker punchier tone than 160 which is modeled after a DBX and IMO is good for fairly transparent clinical compression.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's M comp. that's what it says on the owner's manual.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    That was a typo

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh okay...it happens sometimes.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    It happens a lot on my iPhone

11. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    I use the 160 for double bass. Nice and transparent.

Guiseppe likes this.
  12. Old thread, but worth bumping, IMO...
    There's a lot of users here that can contribute.

Personally, I use the Opto and the 160 for most of my patches with compressors. The opto adds a bit of "thickness" to the tone and the 160 is clean and just does a really nice job.

13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I like the Opto andf the 160 as well.. the Opto kind of reminds me of my Aphex..

14. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    The opto is based on the Aphex punch factory. Its a nice comp, simple and does a decent job. That and the 160 are the stand out comps on the B3, as most people have mentioned, the M-comp is worth a look as well.

15. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    i really need to learn how to use these to my best advantage. I have no idea how to adjust a compressor though. Sigh.

16. Do you guys like using the compressors as the first in line or last of the 3 effects on the B3?

17. When I used the comp on the B3 I had the 160 just to add punch and then fall straight away, it killed and I kind of miss it.

18. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    It changes the sound depending where you put it and what else your using. Last is usually the best for me, unless I'm using auto wahs or other touch sensitive sims and want a constant sound, then it goes to the front.

19. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    I like the M Comp best

jwilson67 likes this.