1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom b3 vs Me-50b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tenju777, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hey guys, so I'm finally ready to jump into the world of effects. And to be honest I know a little about everything and a lot about nothing when it comes to effects. So because of that I decided to go ahead and get a good Multi-Effect just to get my feet wet and see what I like/don't like.

I like that the zoom is about a 100 bucks cheaper, and I see a lot of love for it on TB. I'm not interested in built in od's/distortions/fuzzes/amp models or anything like that. I've got separate pre amps and stomp boxes for those. I'm mainly interested in modulation/synth/wah type stuff. So which unit is gonna get me better off in that direction? And can both units skip amp modeling all together? I like the idea of a lot of banks for presets for a wide variety of soundscapes and all that jazz.

TL;DR Zoom b3 or Boss ME-50b?

2. B3 for the win

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Might as well get m9? so much better in term of modulation

4. The issue with the ME-50b is that you cannot turn off the EQ, so your tone is always somewhat "effected" :p

I have a video on youtube demonstrating most of the sounds the ME-50b has. I ended up selling mine though, because I didn't like the always on EQ.

Also, to my ear, the effects on the B3 sound better.

5. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The consensus here seems to be that the B3 is great for modulation and lousy with overdrive so it sounds like it fits you. You also get a DI out and a USB interface for computer recording. I think it's a no-brainer.

6. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I think I've read that comment from you previously.

If I set the knobs in the Master section to 12 noon ((Mid-Freq doesn't matter, of course), and turn all the effects off, I can toggle between On and Bypass and not have any difference in EQ.

I checked, and even the manual verifies that this is the expected behavior.

Is it possible you had a bum unit? I own two currently, and they both behave the same, flat EQ when set to noon. It's puzzling that yours didn't.

----

@ the OP - I do love the ME-50B, but modulation and reverb are definitely not its strong suits.

With only three effect slots active at any time on the G3, even if I pick one up (and this is very likely), I'll still run reverb and delay after it, likely the reverb/delay Muza FD-900.

The effects on the G3 are much more usable out of the box, and it manages to do a lot of the things I really love about the ME-50B, including having an expression-pedal-controlled resonance. Combining that with, say, the Muff setting sits squarely in synth territory.

The only thing is... a lot of the synth stuff I use on the ME-50B makes use of more than three effects at a time. My dark orchestral pad combines compression, slow attack, the natural overdrive, the octave down on the expression pedal, and the reverb/chorus combo, as well as the EQ. A lot of the other ME-50B sounds I made and routinely use also combine the full capabilities of the ME-50B, and I can't get there completely with just the B3.

If you're just looking for the basics out of the box though, the B3 is the way to go.

7. First off, thanks everyone for the input! I wasn't expecting so many replies this quickly.

And to Explorer. So basically what you're saying is at any given time on the B3 you can only have 3 effects active and whatever settings those come with, but with the ME-50B you can have 3 effects, a compressor, and the eq set to that specific patch? I can see how the Boss pedal is a tad more "customizable" if you will.

But would you say if I've already got separate drives/rack eq/compressor that I won't be missing much of the extra features on the ME-50B?

Ultimately I'm thinking the B3 is more up my alley because it seems a little more straightforward. Not that I don't like tweaking sounds till the cows come home, but I feel like the Boss pedal might be a little redundant with the gear I'm already working with.

8. The B3 kills the ME-50B for synth stuff. It has Synths in it. So you put a Synth in one slot of the patch, the Slicer next, and a Bit Crusher after that.

One other thing is that the B3 has a Great tuner and rythms to practice to.

9. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I agree that the B3 has better patches out of the box. If you have outboard gear already, then the B3 is a great adjunct to that.

However... if I'm using minimal gear, that board often just has the ME-50B, the FS-6 footswitch (for moving through the ME-50B's preset banks), and my Muza FD-900 M Ambience pedal (combined reverb and delay, four presets).

----

In general, it's worthwhile for anyone considering gear like this to watch demo vids for similar gear. There was a great demo of the Red Panda Bitcrusher being used as a double feedback loop to get a great clavinet sound out of a bass, and I'm looking forward to seeing if the Zoom B3 can do the same....

10. Alright guys I ordered my Zoom B3 and a moog expression pedal this afternoon and it should be here early next week. Thanks for all the advice! I'll make sure to post my thoughts on it as soon as I get it.