1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B3n or MS-70CDR?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JesterJoker010, Nov 14, 2018.

1. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Hey I am going to buy a Zoom B3n soon, mainly to replace a couple of budget analog modulation effects and a cheap digital reverb.

Not really going to use the amp and cab simulations.

I am a little disappointed on the amount of effects available though compared to the B3 and especially the MS-70CDR, which has a ton of effects build in, but I realize the B3n use better modeling technology, so the effects it does have should be of better quality.

Anyone know if there is any firmware upgrades planned to get more effects, or if it is realistic that Zoom will add more effects?

And would the effects in the B3n be of notable better quality then those in the MS-70CDR?

In other words, would I get more out of buying the MS-70CDR than the B3n, when I strictly speaking only need a good chorus, a good phaser and a good reverb on my bass pedal board (but could use more effects for other things), and I don't really need the amp and cab simulators in the B3n?

2. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Bump!

Anyone?

3. Hello @JesterJoker010 welcome to TB. These subjects of Zoom have been discussed a good bit before and that may be the reason for no answer. Allow me to summarize.

On the MS pedals Zoom did an major update to all the pedals more than doubling the available effects and in many cases improving the quality of the effects, in the case of the MS100BT made all of the effects available for free.

The MS60B and the MS70CDR have a lot of great effects for bass as well as other instruments and there are options for better performance access if you choose to go that route Disaster Area or Lizard Breath. The MS pedals are amazing bargains even if you use them for 1 sound only.

On the B3N there were some updates for the first few months with new effects and patches but it seems that Zoom has abandoned it all together at this point. Shame because it is a really functional platform with the right software support could serve a lot of players for a long time.

As far as there being a noticeable quality between the MS and the B3n on a pedalboard going into an amp for live performance - no. I honestly doubt even in a reference quality head to head whether much difference would be gleaned in the effects you are planning to use.

blip and JesterJoker010 like this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can’t speak to the B3n’s sound quality, never played one. But if I were you and all you really wanted/needed was something to replace a chorus and a reverb, the 70CDR is probably the way to go. Unless you’re wanting to be able to easily run more than one effect at a time. However, the CDR can also be set to where you can run a chorus and a reverb and a delay all at once too. It’s just a little more menu/setup intensive. Depends on what you’re after there.

On the other note, Zoom does do updates with cool added effects and quality. However, they are very seldom. I’ve had the 60b for years and I’ve only seen one update come out. You should get a Line 6 HX stomp or HX and call it day!! ;)

5. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I would love a Line 6 HX Stomp, as it would probably allow me to ditch all my effects and preamps, even amps, but as it is it is also a good deal more expensive than the Zoom, and the gear I have now, even if being quite more inconvenient to transport around actually does exactly what I need.

Thanks though, both you gregmon79 and bassbrad, seems like the Zoom MS-70CDR is the right way to go for me.

gregmon79 likes this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I know that price isn't an easy for some. But they are very worth it. If you decide to make that plunge though, sounds like you could sell some stuff to get stuff. That's how I'm able to make things happen sometimes. But yeah, the 70CDR is a safe bet for sure. I used to have one and enjoyed it quite a bit.

7. SaittamSwe

SaittamSwe

Nov 19, 2018
    Sweden
    Well, taste is what it is. I do own a Zoom B3n, and it made me sell all my TC Electronic gear. The helix is a great product, but the Zoom B3n covers me very well. Soundquality is good, and it is very easy to edit. At the pricepoint of ONE butiqe pedal it is very hard to beat. Some of the earlier Zoom multieffect-products have been quite bad according to me, but this generation is actually very good. I play in a coverband and find it very convinient to be able to switch between the 150..... presets which can hold up to seven effects each.......
    And it is also a great practice tool!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    BrentSimons likes this.