1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

“Treating” flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lovernotfighter, Feb 28, 2008.

1. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    What I heard/read was that Jaco used to eat fried chicken before shows so that his fingers would be greasy.... But with the number of shows he must've played, I would think he'd get tired of eating fried chicken. Hmmmm.

But yes, I agree with most/all... Just play them - rounds or flats.

2. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Yes i do a simular thing,but because i live in Wales UK where there are many sheep farmers,i use the sheep's poo to add a bit of bottom end to the sound!!:D

3. lovernotfighter

lovernotfighter

Nov 2, 2007
    Im getting the awnsers i thought i would....

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    We're glad we didn't disappoint you. :)

5. Hehee this is a fun little thread

6. I rub mine on the thighs of Cuban women.

7. obaka-san

obaka-san

Sep 21, 2007
    I rub a little bit of oil on new ones just to slick em up a bit, they allways feel 'sticky' out of the pack to me.

Rounds i give a good greasing though, brand new roundwound zing isn't my thing and it helps deaden it

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I rub duck fat on my fretting hands fingertips when I play roundwounds, but thats to help reduce the finger noise.

9. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    I quarantine new strings on my home/practice bass to wear out the brightness and then migrate them to my gigging bass once they have "matured" enough.

10. Equin

Equin

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i wipe the playing fingers of both hands on my face and get them greased up during gigs. im sure it takes a toll on the flats, but thats a good thing;). makes playing a breeze, too. i just hope my flats dont smell somethin terrible in a few years :oops:

11. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    you don't get tired of fried chicken

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    True, I'd believe the wolfs piss method first.