1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

“Sleeper” 5 strings in the $800-$1,500 range?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AngelCrusher, May 24, 2019.

1. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    EDIT - Quest over, I have purchased an L2500. But read this thread anyway, there are a ton of great suggestions.

Curious if I am missing anything while I look at getting a 5 string. I simply need one as it’s been over a year since I had my last one and I can use that low B on certain projects. A major bonus would be lighter weight. I have mainly been using a sub 8 pound Sadowksy so strapping on something that’s 9.5+ is kind of a bummer.

To save a little time, I am very aware of Sire, plus here is what I have had in the past:

Moollon 5 string J - Should never have sold it. Amazing bass. A little out of my range right now. I wish their necks were made a bit better, I had to get some fretwork done on it, but it was not a huge problem.

Lakland Skyline 5560- Really nice, a bit sterile pickups, but I may consider a revisit on this one. Used one for 3 years that I got for basically nothing - $700.

Lakland Skyline 5502 - Didn’t like it. The recording tone was not for me, and I was not a fan of the preamp even after getting inside and tweaking the mids.

Peavey Cirrus (original American) - love this bass. It was on loan to me from a studio and it is super awesome. The main issue with it as a studio bass is the tone is a little too specific and it does not fit into as many mixes as I would like. I also prefer the look of something more classic like a P/J/Ray. That said, this bass is fantastic and one of my favorites in this price range.

Just seeing if there are some sleepers out there that people have been enjoying (passive or active is fine). If I go up in range, I will probably be looking at the new Stingray Classic 5, which is on my short list, and of course so is a Sadowsky Metro. For now, I am not using a 5 so much that I want to invest at that level.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Pennsylvania USA
    A little less money than your stated price point but suggesting them anyway FWIW: G&L Tribute L-2500, Yamaha TRBX605FM, Yamaha BB735A. People rave about G&Ls (never played one of them myself), and the Yamaha's (which I have tried) are really nice. I am guessing you would probably have more tonal variation with the Yamaha's, based on what I generally read about the characteristics of the G&L pickups. Hard to find a G&L in person in my area, but Yamaha's are fairly common in the stores so it's easy to try before you buy.

craig0316 and Kro like this.
  3. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    These are actually great suggestions, since I really never knew much about any of them. Thank you!

PockySteve likes this.
  4. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta
    I’m really happy with my G&L M2500 Tribute

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Supadope, scraig, Fuzzbass and 16 others like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I’d try to find a used Stingray Special 5 H or HH. They come up quite frequently here on the forum and GC.

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would check out German made Warwick Bolt on Double-Bucks($$). Mine's a neck Thru custom Shop but in passive mode, it kills.
    I think you could find a New one on the high side of your budget. But you could score a really nice used one pretty easily in your price range.

Gooney, scowboy and Dabndug like this.
  8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hi AngelCrusher,

I've read many of your posts in the past and they have been very informative. You appear to be a very accomplished and discriminating bass player. When I first saw this post, I thought Lakland 55-02. Yet you mentioned above that this bass doesn't work for you. Understood. I really think Sadowsky is the way to go. The quality and flexibility of these basses are pretty hard to beat. When I was asked to sub for a 10 piece cover band that had a very diverse set list, I went with my Sadowsky 5 string. It worked great on every song.

I guess a used Metro or new MetroExpress might be out of the price range you want to commit to this type of bass. However, I think once you have the bass in your hands, it will likely cover your needs in spades.

Best of luck in your search.
    Bones

Todd LaCasse and AngelCrusher like this.
  9. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Agree, and thank you! Sadowsky is always on my short list. Roger is really great and so are his basses. I think my main thing I am realizing is I really like having a split P up front, and I already have a Sadowsky PJ (its amazing)so I want something a touch different.

Currently flying up my list is the Maruszczyk Jake 5P+

sonicyogi likes this.
  10. Fender05

Fender05

Oct 20, 2008
    Chicago
    Find yourself a used Dingwall. The fan frets take almost no time to adjust to, and I have no problem switching between fan and parallel frets. And it's hands down the best B string in the business. For a used Combustion, you could do some digging and find one in the $1300-$1500 bracket. Upper end of what you wanna spend, but still there. And I'm tellin' ya, once you play one, you'll fall in love with the tone!

tree_trunker, TinyE and MDH bass like this.
  11. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yes I have been looking into these as well. Super cool basses!

12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A used Valenti (or a new one if you open up your price range a bit).

feschyn and tink9975 like this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Maestro 5 stingray clone … Price $135, I added a preamp, string tree, battery box, and straploks, for about $175 more … total price $310

b%20580.

b%20576.

14. $650-ish, brand new. One of the best playing instrumens I've had in my hands in 30 years. Schecter Riot, 35" scale, whompin' B-string

My gear Riot 5.

15. If you're looking for a J-style 5, you should be able to find a used G&L JB5 with an Empress body in the 8.5lb range within your budget. There are other G&L 5s that might fit what you're looking for, but the JB5 is a really fine J-style bass.

feschyn and KeithPas like this.
  16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Sadowsky and Maruszczyk...and I also play Kinal basses. The Sadowsky is about as perfect as you get. The Maruszczyk is definitely well made and for the price difference it’s a really good comparison to Sadowsky. I like the Kinal the best only because it’s a more personal experience working with a builder to get EXACTLY what you want, and I like the shape of his necks which were customized for my specs. I didn’t care for the pickups and electronics in my Maruszczyk and have replaced the Delano Sonar 3 MS-E with a John East Uni-Pre, and I’m waiting on Nordstand to finish some new pickups I ordered.

17. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Can't believe I didn't think Dingwall Combustion too. I have a NG-3 and it is a very versatile bass. They can be a little challenging to find used though.

Bones

18. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I got my Stingray 5 for $900 if that counts

19. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    What model Maruszcyk do you have? I really dig the sound of their passives a lot. I was not as into their active sound, which is probably the pre you replaced.

20. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yeah they are tricky to find used. Makes sense since they are really good basses. They are on my short list.