0 - 40Hz subwoofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashbory, Nov 3, 2005.

1. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Check out the link...

...a little pricey, but I can think of a few talkbassers that could put this to good use. :)

Is this a new design, or has it been done before?
  2. Its only $12,900 -- I'll just go ask the wife :)

- Andrew
  3. " Want to hear what 5Hz sounds like?"

I sure as hell would, pity the human ear won't pic it up, you'll feel it tho, thats about it
  4. $12,900 without crossover or amplifier, in-fricking-deed

Dont think even TomBowlus would get one of them (or has one yet)
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't think you can hear as low as that thing goes, but then again what you can't hear I bet you can feel ;) Almost as good of a deal as the PJ tube head.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Um...yeah...anyone have an extra attic to annoy the neighbors with sub-sonic rumbling? This is the kinda thing designed to replicate the sound of space ships for sci-fi dorks, um...I mean afficionados.

12k for a fan.
  7. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Reminds me of a servo motor sub.
  8. You can't hear 5Hz. The only thing on your body that responds to 5 Hz is the skin on your technicals, that gets wrinkly in response to low freq energy.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All things considered I think it blows.
  10. DuhDuh Chh :p
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    lol, ya beat me to the punch. I believe Jauqo and stew mac could use one of these though!
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I concur.
  13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    If ever there was a driver that could deliver the elusive "brown note", I suspect this may be it.

...That is if you don't sh!t yourself for having spent 13K on a sub (sans amplifier) first, of course.

Neat toy, though. I'd really like to hear my subcontra seven through it...
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It goes to -20Hz with a tara labs power cable.
  15. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    And I'm sure you'll have an easy time finding an amplifier that can reproduce .5hz...
  16. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Fans are on sale at Walmart. You can save some cash....
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    But is there a switch for changing impedances?
  18. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I'm impressed ... what a great idea ... one of those 'why didn't I think of that' because it is so simple.

The motor isn't much more than a fan motor ... it's apparently the voice coil tech and control technology that are expensive. A 1/3 horse power motor turns the fan blades, which are connected to a rod in the center of a woofer voice coil. Instead of the voice coil moving a cone, it moves the rod, which then moves smaller rods that adjust the pitch of the fan blades. So, the high velocity air coming from the fan is pulsed at the low frequencies. It only takes about 100 watts of amplifier power to drive it.

Here's the description "The entire room shook, and the door was opening and closing in time with the signal. All this, and there was almost no distortion (the ET rep had the response being plotted on a spectrum analyzer during the demonstration). They calculated that it would take ten 18" subwoofers to produce this level of sound. It has to be placed in a separate room due to the fan noise, and putting it in the attic would work fine. The opening into your home theater would be about 2'x4' in the ceiling."

Here's another write-uphttp://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/show-report-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-10-2005-page-37.html
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, if it wasn't for the disclaimer:

I'd be on it! :p

Actually, I did recently pick up a Bag End 1x18 ELF system, which basically accomplishes the same thing, and can actually be moved from place to place! :D
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This thread may take the cake for the most (potential) one-liners in the fewest posts...