Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 1/2" neck width basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anybody know of other 4 string basses that come with a 1 1/2" neck width at the nut? I have a G&L L-2000 that I ordered with the #8 neck...it's awesome. Fender Jazz also comes standard with this "thin" neck.

2. I think Musicman Sterlings do, as well. The Stingray 4 has a 1 5/8 P bass style width.

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    yep they do.
    actually, my sterling neck feels faster than any jazz i've had my hands on lately.

4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

A G&L with a #6 or #8 neck is my favorite type of bass in the world. A couple of other necks I've found that I like almost as much are:

Reverend 4-string (unfortunately discontinued)
    Godin A4 (I think the SD and Freeway are the same)
    Steinberger Spirit 4

I didn't try one for any length of time but a Sterling neck is the only thing I've encountered that seems thinner/sleeker than the G&L #6/8. The Schecter C4 neck is supposed to be narrower than 1.5" wide at the nut and correspondingly narrow all the way up. Most "jazz necks" I've tried (Peavey ?, ESP J4, Dean Razor, Yamaha 1500?, Modulus VJ, Fernandes J clone), while 1.5" wide at the nut, end up wider and flat and uncomfortable farther up the neck.

So for me the 1.5" nut width is a starting point, it's not enough information to know that the neck works for me.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, I used to have a Sterling...I regret selling it now, but I did so to buy my G&L. I'm kinda on the lookout for a used Sterling for a good price. It was top notch all the way! Anybody know of other thin neck basses?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    4 string Ibanez soundgears, Gibson Thunderbirds and plenty others IIRC.