1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1/2 size or 3/4?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by `Jas, Jun 29, 2012.

1. `Jas

`Jas

Sep 23, 2010
    I'm moving to a new area in week or so, and I have to rent a double bass from there. I'm worried about the size of the bass I should rent, as I don't have a case with wheels and I'll have to lug the bass from home to my school, school to my bass lessons using the subway and various forms of transport.. I'm also looking to get a preferably lighter student bass so it makes it easier for me, however I have concerns about the sound quality between the different sizes.

Also, I am a fairly short girl at 5'2, and I'm not exactly an extremely strong person who can carry a bass for extended periods of time. I have played a 1/2 and a 3/4, and I've definitely preferred the 3/4. Should I at least try and search for a 1/2, or stick with the 3/4 bass?

(Note: I haven't gone to see the basses in my new area yet, however I will be looking into basses in a few weeks once we get settled in. Thank you!)

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Stick with a 3/4. Consider purchasing a Bass Buggie from KC Strings. You'll be able to wheel your bass around with it.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    3/4 is a standard size bass. However there are variations in size with 3/4 instruments. I have a 3/4 Rogeri copy that is a rather small 3/4. So, yep - get a 3/4.

5. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I bought a bass buggy about a month ago. Great little item and so easy to use.

6. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    How about one of those wheels that replace the endpin? I've never used one but they seem to work.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, they do. It's important that you get one with a pneumatic tire and that you take care to only roll it over relatively smooth surfaces. Not good to go bouncing it off a curb.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I suggested the Bass Buggie over the endpin type single wheel arrangement because I think it would be easier for the OP to deal with. More stability.

9. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Isn't it heavier? She'll be using stairs.

10. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    try a 5/8ths, some of the older ones can sound big and are easy to play esp in the upper register.

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    3/4 with any kind of wheel/ bass buggy/ ext

12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just get a wheel. I use mine all the time and carry my bass as short a distance as possible. IME with a wheel it is very easy to ascend/descend stairs.

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    If 3/4 is what you've been comfortable with, then that's what you should stick with. Get a pneumatic wheel. Keep the tire pressue fairly low and the bass will have a smooth ride. I've carried my bass around the NYC subway for years that way.

Getting a double bass around is a pain no matter what, but once you get used to lugging it around it's not so bad. I don't think your size would make it that much harder. Double basses are big, awkward and frail - perfect for transporting, right? I would definitely not recommend trading off musical considerations for transport. Go with a 3/4 because it's what you like and figure out the logistics of transport that work best for your situation.
    You'll do fine.