Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/4" Extension Cables?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Feb 7, 2006.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Someone help me here! I'm looking for a 1/4" Extension cable from my TE Combo amp Cab (Head blew) to my current amp, but the 1/4" is too short. I need a 1/4" that is shielded so it lets electrical current through.. I've had no luck at any music stores.. can anyone help me? -.-

D

2. If your connecting a cabinet to an amp you don't want shielded cable. Just purchase a 'speaker' (not instrument) cable and you'll be all set. Ideally you'll want to keep the cable run as short as possible.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    its a female -> male I need. Can't find it anywhere

D

4. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    The most common solution is to get another instrument (male-male) cable and then get a 1/4" female-female adapter (Radio Shack has them for about $4). This way you can use the new cable as an extension cable or as a spare instrument cable.
    [edit] This is only for instrument cables. If it is for you amp to speaker, just buy a long enough 1/4" speaker cable.

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    As was earlier stated by ddnidd1 you do NOT want an instrument cable. speaker and instrument cables are NOT the same thing. You can get a 1/4 to 1/4 SPEAKER cable and replace one end with a female jack. Or you could just get a piece of 16 AWG + two conductor with(you could probably get away with 18 but...) and attatch the ends you need. for this aplication lamp cord would probably be fine as that is most likely what your head uses anyway. The second option will likely be cheaper as as soon as a cable is made it seems the price jumps to 5x the cost of it's parts.

Edit, you could use a 1/4 to 1/4 adapter as was suggested, but make sure you use a speaker cable.

6. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    You're correct. I missed that post, but I mentioned the differences it in my edit. I recommend using a single cable for speakers (hign power) instead of patching 2 together.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I think what he is saying is that he wants to use the 1/4" cable coming out of the cab section of the combo. A lot of these are just a short pigtail with a 1/4" plug, and the other end is connected directly to the speaker. You can still use a 1/4" female-female coupler and a regular speaker cable. It isn't ideal but it should work. I have made a few cables like this for adapting banana output to 1/4". I use a regular switchcraft 1/4" female cable end and haven't had any problems.

+1 on not using shielded cable.