Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/4 inch to XLR cables

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by oldgreyOlds, Jun 20, 2005.

1. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    I bought a bunch of mikes on sale the other day at the local store, and they came with 1/4" to XLR cables. correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt the sound quality be the same as 1/4" to 1/4" (yes I know you need XLR's to plug into mics)? just curious, because if the sound quality would be noticeably dimished, Ill go back and buy a few XLR chords.

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    What kind of Mic's are they? Is the 1/4 tip/sleeve(TS) or tip/ring/sleeve(TRS)? Perhaps the mic's are unbalanced or high impedance?

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're right, the 1/4 cable will let you down. Wether live or in the studio, I use XLR to XLR cables. The gain is much stronger and the sound is crisper.

They're not expensive. Perhaps do an experiment and A/B test them. Let us know how it goes.

4. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    thanks, petebass, thats exactly what I wanted to know. and pbd, being the brain surgeon I am, the mics are at the guitarists house, so I forget what they are. I just remeber I got a killer deal on them. that being said, I was amazed as all the "cheap" XLR cables I bought added up. 20 plus 20 plus... Im going to the guitarists tommorow and were gonna play around with his amp (apperently Im the only guy in the band who understands how to use a foot pedal. considering I dont have one for my bas...:rolleyes: ), so Ill compare the cables then.

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

PBD