Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 cocky dude

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by quantum5, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what was jacos deal? i read the latest guitar player"bass" magizne and it seems like the dude was realy really high on himself and his playing.
    do u guys think that if jaco was still with us, that he would be the same way? where do u thing his playing would be among other? do u think he could back up his braggin with the likes of wooten, nitti, horne burbride, etc....?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Steve Bailey told us(class at wootcamp) a story about an encounter he had with jaco.

If you are unfamiliar with Steve Bailey, he has done some of the most impressive harmonic work around, stuff that is leagues ahead of what jaco was doing melodically and harmonically.

So jaco was at one of his gigs, where steve had been doing his solo bass stuff, all these harmonics and harmonic chords and sophisticated false harmonics. And jaco approaches him, something like "what was that you were doing there?"

Now a word about steve's false harmonic technique. Rather than using his thumb to make a harmonic node, he uses his index finger, and then plucks with his ring and middle finger, as well as his thumb.

So steve explains it to jaco "well, it's a false harmonic technique, like what you do with your thumb, only I'm using my finger"

and jaco's like "yeah, I got that, but what it doesn't got is that sound"

he then grabs the bass and plays the lick from "birdland"

then steve explains "But with this technique it opens up my hand and I can play multiple strings at once..."

and steve plays a little bit then.

jaco's response "but it doesn't have that sound man"

grabs the bass again and noodles around with birdland

Steve, realizing that jaco won't give up, releases his last argument "well, with this technique, I can play root notes with my thumb, and pluck multiple harmonic notes, creating fuller chords"

jaco simply shrugs it off "it doesn't have that sound"

Now, steve's look on this story is that he(steve) was right, that his technique is superior to jaco's false harmonic technique, however, I tend to agree with jaco.

While steve's technique is very impressive, it does lack that suond what ever that sound may be. When you use your finger in place of your thumb, it creates a rounder less raw sound, which works great for some music, but ultimately, I prefer the sound jaco gets with his thumb.

So if that little anecdote give you any insight then that's good :cool:

Eitherway, would jaco still be cocky today? most likely yes, if not MORE cocky because all those cats you mentioned, nitti, wooten...etc. wouldn't be where they are now if it weren't for jaco. They may have taken bass to the next level, but they wouldn't have been able to do that had jaco not paved the way.

so then, were jaco around today, I'd say chances are, even if his technique and style was dated and no one was digging it anymore, he could still be cock of the walk because all these bassists world-wide would be kissing his feet.

or maybe not...hmm, it's been said that in death you become more notorious.

3. i feel bad becuase his cockyness makes me not want to listen to him even more. ive never been a true jaco fan and his attidute just suucks so i dunno if i can ever really appriciate what he did.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i could care less about a person's cockiness. i have learned a lot from Jaco and others. i am grateful for what they have done for me and other musicians.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Well said WR. I'll add that Jaco was ill. The demons in his mind were ones that can causes the belittling of others to improve ones own 'self worth'.

Could Jaco back up his braggin today..... IMHO, he sure could.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    "It ain't bragging if you can back it up ..."

More people will forever cop. Jaco licks and tone
    over Steve Bailey, Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm,
    Jeff Berlin, Nitti, Horne, or Burbridge... combined.

That's a fact.

Nuff said.

[​IMG]

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    eh? the amount of strings you play is not an indicator of talent.

I mean, look at jaco, he only needed 4 strings :p ;)

8. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Very true WR,I understand. But being cocky usually implies a lack of something. -Luke

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    or, a bountiful amount of something and the need to let everyone know. :meh:

10. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
  11. his personality just was trash. he thought he was better then everyone else. i dont think thats a true player. a true player, in my eyes, is someone who is willing to all concepts and all ideas to incorporate into there style and create their own voice. his voice was heard, and in my eyes, overly- appriciated, but his bragging gets to me.....

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Jaco was living in his own world. All the drugs and partying takes its tool on your mind, and from what I saw of Jaco towards the end was that he was plain crazy. So to me, it doesn't suprise me that he treated people the way he did because he really didn't care. For the most part, that's how junkies are. They really are only concerned with their own feelings. So it's very possible that he was just that way because of the drugs. Cockiness aside, he was an amazing player that I will look up to.

13. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    in my opinion, once you reach a certain level of greatness you earn the right to be cocky... Yngwie Malmsteen (guitar), michael jordan (basketball) , muhammed ali (boxing) and barry bonds(baseball) have all been accused of being too cocky. I'm a huge fan of all these guys, because they are clearly the best in their generation at what they are doing. Once you are the top dog in your field I feel you've earned the right to say whatever you want. Jaco is ok in my book and he can say (have said) whatever he wants b/c he established himself as a musical legend.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd rather let a gang of midgets with tack hammers beat me profusely than listen to five minutes of Malmsteen.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I think a lot depends on which interview you read. In the classic Guitar Player interview ('84?) he is actually quite humble, paying respect to some of the great players of the past. And if I remember correctly, in the video with Jerry Jemmott interviewing him, I don't think he comes across as arrogant at all.

Also, printed interviews are not transparent representations of the person interviewed. A lot has to do with the circumstances of the interview, especially the attitude of the interviewer.

16. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Jaco was only human, like us, and we can't know what was happening inside his head, let's not judge him too far.

As for his 'cockiness'... I'd say that without his attitude, a lot of our "bass revolution" (if you will) might not have happened. Jaco knew what he wanted to do, he knew he could do it, and he knew how to make people watch him do it. I've known many incredible musicians who've never gotten past bar-gigs and academia simply because they either don't know or are unwilling to show themselves off. Musicians whose inventiveness and talent can rival that of Charlie Parker, Jaco, or Mozart.

Jaco put himself right out in front of everybody and said "listen to this, this is how it's done, and like it or not, what you do will be based on this".. because it was true. He made us listen, he awed us, he inspired us, and he's still doing it some 16+ years after his death.. despite his attitude, despite his lifestyle, despite his problems, despite his absence.

Kudos to anyone who can do that.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Or was he 2 Cocky Dude?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :ninja:

For his time, he was an innovator.

In the grand scheme of things you can't point the finger at one bassists and say that is the greatest bassist of all time in EVERYONE'S opinion forever and every to the max pizzlestains amen. Different things make different bassists good.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The bridge that divides "cocky" from "confident" is built on the questionable pillars of subjectivity.

In his case, this personality trait very well may have been part of what made him great.

I suggest being careful. If you start rejecting musicians for personality quirks, you may find your listening options quite limited.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great way of putting that!

:)

20. Im curious as to why you think that. We all know Yngwie is an arrogant jerk but you have to admit he is the best at what he does. I actually saw him live at the G3 last year and Joe Satriani can't touch him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.