1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1 vs. 2 truss rods (6 string)?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kibuddy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I could have sworn I've seen this discussed, but I couldn't find the thread, so I thought I'd ask again.

Would it be wiser to use two truss rods in a six string neck over one with two graphite rods?

I was thinking I would put in one truss rod and two graphite reinforcement bars, but then I got to thinking- that's a fairly wide neck. What if it starts to twist?

Then again, if the neck is built well and has the graphite bars, maybe it shouldn't need the second truss rod.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Well IMHO and my last build I did 1 truss rod, no graphite. But the neck is 1" Wenge center 1/2" X 2 Purpleheart and hard maple outside.
    Straight as an arrow and I actully had to release the truss rod once it was strung.

Personally I think the whole graphite thing is superstition, just like 2 trussrods unless your using lighter less dense woods. If you're using good strong wood with the grain oriented the correct way there should be no issues. Sorry I guess I should have said IMHO first on that last statement too. :)
    Flame on!
    Dirk

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sorry to cut in but, what about Maple and Mahogany five peice neck? Will it be strong enough with one trussrod?

4. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005