1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10" to 12" Worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frenfrins, Apr 29, 2015.

1. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi everybody,
    I'm currently using a Harley Benton BA5110C combo (remember that "promethean clone"...) for most of the gigs I do, and I'm thinking about buying a 112 cab and using it with the head of the combo, you know it's detachable.
    Do you guys think I would find a noticeable difference if I do it? I just sometimes think I would like to have a little more volume or deep end, but for me it's very important to keep on using a light and easy to transport amp, so I don't want anything bigger than a 112.
    Thank you!

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Adding more speaker surface is the easiest way of increasing the volume output of your rig, so I'd go for it. Should help with a bit more low end as well.

3. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you so much, maybe I'll get a Fender Rumble 112, or save more money for a MarkBass New York

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, you would hear a significant difference. It's not only surface area. It's also Xmax. The combined product is displacement. Forget about a Rumble or MarkBass. Do it the right way. Look to one of the many 12/6 (12/6/1) variations or a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack, Jack Lite, or Simplexx.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What is the RMS power at 8 ohms of the detachable head?

6. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses,

250w 8ohm and 500w 4ohm

I didn't know them, I live in Spain, and don't know if I could get them here or how much they cost

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Good! Get the best 112 or lightweight 210 you can find. The Markbass cabinets are good, but expensive over here. Can you find a used Markbass cabinet?

8. frenfrins

frenfrins

Dec 7, 2012
    Yes, also here, a little bit more of what I want to spend, I'm thinking if I should do the effort, and you're right, second hand could be a great idea, I have no rush, so still in the process of searching and comparing, I enjoy it :)
    EBS CL112 looks OK also, the only think is that it delivers only 94db, that sounds strange.