100 watt combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Mannnys had about 5 or 6 G and L 2000's the other day and I played all the maple necked ones. along with a hollow bodied ASAT one. I played through a 60 watt Kick back Harkte and i started to hear a real tinny sound, so i ended up playing through a 100 watt Rumble. Wow , what a difference. Even an Am St P bass sounded much better. I was digging the red light too. How do other 100 watt combos compare. Bassman? , SWR?, What else??
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The best little combo amp I had was my SWR WM10. Wish I still had it sometimes. 80 watts, 10" driver and horn (I usually turned it off) a decent DI, tuner out and effects loop. It handled a low B better than my SWR Super Redhead with 2 10's. I used it on small gigs and to rehearse with a 9 piece funk band - with horns. Great amp.
  3. "decent DI, tuner out and effects loop"

what are these things? How much $ was it ?
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Pignose B-100V. :)
  5. Fender Rumble 100 - nice tight sounding 15" with horn - just wish you could turn the horn off... sinple and effective eq
  6. i got an ampeg SVT 15T 100watt combo , its 15 years old and still ging strong , fantastic amp
  7. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Ampeg BA115.

I chose it over others because of the CD input and headphone output, but I have used it at a few small or acoustic gigs without going through the p.a. I am very well satisfied with it.
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

+1 on the BA115. The only problem is the tweeter hiss.

Live it shouldn't be a problem but for quiet practice it's really annoying. Other than that it sounds great.
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Had the 12 version"... Workingman's 12...100 watts. Bought and sold two of these. Great little amps.
  10. Trace Elliot BLX series.. SM/SMC 7 band pre-amp. Some came with a horn, others didnt. The lowest power one was the BLX 80 then later came the 130, obviously 80 and 130w respectively. Last of the the line was the BLX SMC, 150w with compressor. They were a single 10 inch speaker mounted in a band pass enclosure that was really efficient. I borrowed the 130w model with a horn when my Trace Elliot had to go back to the factory... Try one, heavy but compact.
  11. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll also give a shout out to the SWR Workingman's 12. I've been using one for just about a year, extremely versatile for the variety of work that I do. Perfect stand alone size for small coffeehouse and jazz clubs, and I'll add a 2X10 extension for some extra punch, which also brings the amp up to 160W. I've had more than a couple of sound guys chuckle at me when I roll it into a club, saying "What is that, your monitor?" The DI on it is Post EQ, if I remember correctly, so at least you know your sound is getting to the board.
  12. I have a workingmans 15 - I think the DI is pre EQ though - it worked really nicely with my SDGR, but didn't sound so great with my warwick - I think you'll have to go into the shop and try out a couple of amps with your guitar and see what sounds best to you...
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have this fine little 100 watt combo on the way:

Nonsqtr's Pignose may be the closest thing available new, though (and in truth, the Pignose would have been on my shopping list if Steve Azola hadn't been selling this Trace).

I also have a rather compact 100 watt combo (the little one on the right):

14. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada

What's the make of those funky comboos!!!
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The top is a Trace Elliot Valve Twin Combo, and the bottom one is a Phil Jones Briefcase.
  16. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I've got one of these..lots of features too!

http://www.gibson.com/products/traceelliot/bass/712smc.html (It'll work if you copy and paste the link)

Although, I have to sell it because of back problems :bawl: -it's almost 60lbs, and it's just a bit too much to get from the ground to the trunk, up a flight of stairs.........
  17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Ampeg B100R: no tweeter hiss, due to Ampeg not having installed a tweeter.
  18. If you get the chance, check out an Ampeg B100R.

Very warm sounding, and about as close to a tube-type sound you can get without actually buying a tube amp. Excellent amp for Old-School tone.

Two things some people might consider as drawbacks:

1) No tweeter.
    2) No option for an extra cabinet.

It goes pretty loud for 100 watts through a 15.

I haven't played through any of the new Fender amps, but I did own a Bassman 60. I liked the tone of the Fender, but like the Ampeg much more.

Mike ;)
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1, this is also my combo amp of choice. I prefered it to the BA115 hands down. It has a more vintage tone.
  20. And the Ampeg B100R gets two votes at the same moment! :hyper:

Mike :D