1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$1000 by Tuesday

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by disenchant, Dec 13, 2006.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I got divorced just last year, and in December (right before Xmas) they laid me off. I was out of work for 6 months, but now I have 4 jobs. I'm a freelance writer (9am-5pm), I do freelance video editing, I teach gymnastics and I run a small cheerleading business. It just doesn't seem to catch me up on the bills and credit cards (got stuck with the debt from the divorce).

I need to earn $1000 by Tuesday or they'll start the foreclosure process on my condo. I've been paying the mortgage late, but trying to get it in by the end of the month. I didn't make it by the end of November. The mortgage company is very rigid. If you can't pay that month's by the 30th, you have to pay both months the next. They won't accept a check for less than 2 months if you're late.

I got a roommate, but she's all paid up. I'd like constructive ideas. And don't tell me to strip or sell my body. I'm not that desperate yet.

I may have to sell all my bass stuff. And you all know how that feels.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You "may" have to sell your bass gear? Since your bass gear does not contribute to you making a living, that would be a good start.

Borrow some money from your parents, siblings, other relatives? How about the roommate?

-Mike

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ouch. Is there something else you can sell? Maybe you should sell the condo once caught up and move into a more doable situation. Good luck.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    - Ask parents/friends/family members for loans

- Sell items that you aren't using on E-bay

- See if you can refinance your mortgage

- Take on a temp job

- Talk to the mortgage company (someone higher up) and see if you can work out a payment plan

- If you still have a 401k from your previous employer see if you can either cash it out, or take out a loan against it.

- Marry a rich man

5. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Where is a good place to sell bass equipment besides a pawn shop? They never give you what they're worth.

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You can sell it on here if you are a supporting member, or bassgear.com. It may take a while.

E-bay is better for quick sales.

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with Mike .... in your listing of income there is no reference to making money playing bass. If it were me, and the choice was either foreclosure or keeping an instrument, that bass gear would be gone in a minute.

It's a drag when you assume a debt load from a relationship gone bad, but you need to be realistic. I wouldn't ever sell my bass gear, but I make money with it. Many years ago when my first marriage went south, I was stuck with all of the debt as well. And my hobby (photography) equipment was sold immediately to fend off the collectors ...

Good luck, hope all works out well ....

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Personally, I would send *something* to your mortage company today, and let them know when the rest is coming. Then make good on that. I'm not convinced they'll start forclosing unless you really can't afford to live there and won't be able to for the forseeable future. Just communicate with them and don't make them call you. Don't pay any other bills except that one, but let all your other creditors know what they'll get and when.

9. Unfortunately, the gear listed in your profile: Warwick Classic RockBass, Ibanez bass with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups, DM Fat Beams strings, Mesa Boogie 400+ Amp, 4x10 and 1x15 SWR speakers, Shure Beta 58 for Vocals, isn't worth substantial money in a used market. It would be a start though. As much as it sucks, I'd start there. e-Bay is a good option.

Other than that, the suggestions of borrowing from friends, family, etc. ranks up there as well.

Sorry it's not much help. Good luck. I hope everything works out okay!!!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Try your local craigslist. When you need money fast, that is the place to go. I love TB, but I have a hard time selling gear around here. When I put the same gear on CL, it sells within a couple days.

Since time is not on your side, you need to list the gear at your lowest price. If you get no responses to your ad, drop the price. In times like this, you can't be holding out for top dollar on your gear.

-Mike

11. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I've been busy negotiating, and I think I might be very, very close.

I'll get paid from work on Tuesday, so that's $700
    My roommate still owes me $250 on the 15th. I asked her to pay up.
    I got myself a video editing job for $200, I'm going to kick @$$ on it this week so I can finish it by Sunday.
    I got my gymnastics boss to pay me a few days early. That's $85
    My friend owes me $20. Pay up dude!

So I'm only $45 short of the $2600 (I have $1300 right now). I'm sure I could dig that out of the couch cushions somehow!

MUCH MORE MANAGEABLE!

Thanks for the advice. By negotiating with what I already have, I was able to do it!!! I keep my bass stuff! YAY! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I would start by talking to your mortgage company, and find someone with authority. I can guarantee it will cost them more many to foreclose then to come up with a new payment schedule. Most mortgage companies HATE foreclosure, I have a suspicion you spoke to the wrong person at the mortgage company, do not take no for an answer and insist on speaking to someone with some authority.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And you don't have to sell any of your shimmering bitchwood trees...which is nice.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    glad to hear you're going to be able to make rent. but, what about next month?

maybe selling the bass gear might be in the works.

15. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    My roommate will be paying me for a full month on the first of January, so for once I only have to come up with 1/2. She just moved in a few weeks ago, so she only paid for 1/2 of December. I may sell my gear just to get ahead tho.

16. Excellent. Glad to hear everything should work out!

If not, I was on your site page... Renting yourself is certainly an option :p

Relax, I kid, I kid!!! :D

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I wouldn't worry about things so much. Everything always works out in the end, especially on forums.

18. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I lend people money when they need it, so i just need to lay the SMACKDOWN and get it back when I need it!

I'd sell myself...but I don't think I could do much with $5 :D

19. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    :p
    And here I get everyone jumping down my throat because I saw her picture on the Show Yourself thread and said it was a sexy pose.

For shame. For shaaaaaaammmmmmeeee..

20. LOL.... She started it! :smug:

I remember that thread. I didn't jump down your throat! :D

...Besides, it was a sexy pose.

:bag: