Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10's vs. 15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sime, Feb 27, 2005.

1. sime

sime

Feb 27, 2005
    hey there

i am looking at changing my amp setup. after buying, and in turn LOVING my ashdown guitar amp; it's time my bass gets the same treatment. anyways, looking at the mag series and just wondering what to do for speakers! i'd like to keep it all in the $750-1000usd range. so here's my thoughts.

4x10 combo
    2x10 combo+15" extension
    or the 15" combo with a 15" extension.

what would be ideal?!?! i'll be using it in clubs and halls, nothing huge, but certainly bigger then my current setup (yorkville 1x15 combo) can fill.

i don't want muddy (as i think 2 15's would give me) and i still want that chest shaking oomph! so is the 2x10 and 15 my best choice?

inother words, what's your opinion!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    2x10 + 15, 12+15, or something along those lines... IMO/IME, 10s alone don't cut it. That's me. Not you.

Ray

4. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    4x10 or 2x12

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get the 115 combo and then either add a 4x10 or another 15.

15's do NOT equal mud. Poor EQing on the part of the bass player or a poorly built or damaged cab equals mud.

A poorly built, eq'ed or damaged 210 can sound like mud.

The 115 combo will be lighter than the 410 and pack a bigger wallop than the 210. So with the addition of another 115 or 410 cab you wil be able to pretty much play any gig. On the really big gigs there is always PA support.

:)

Joe.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right. They equal muff. You know, mfff mfff mfff mfff.

7. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Well not really. Generally, but if you use a PA they're fine. Also, if you use an 810 you're good or the Ampeg SVT-410hlf. It has ports and mad bottom for days. I got one off ebay and love it. I never get to play with PA support so it's nice having booty for days

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    As I said, in my expirence, for what I do, 10s alone don't cut it. I've used 810s from Hartke, Ampeg and Peavey, and 410s from Ampeg and GK. FOR ME, when I matched them with a larger diameter speaker, they just sounded better, IMO. Like I said, that's me, not you.

Ray

9. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hmmm.. what kind of music do you play and what do you run now? Do you have PA support?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I do have PA support, and I play in three bands; a jazz quartet, a 80s metal band, and a modern rock/metal band. Currently I use an Ashdown MAG 200 1x12 combo and a 1x15 cab on bottom, and I couldn't ask for more.

Ray

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've been finding that 10s aren't cutting it alone for me either so I am looking at using an amp that goes to 2Ohm (my 1x15 is a 4Ohm and my 410 is an 8Ohm) to take to larger shows, even use the 15 for a monitor if anything.

Also looking at just going for a 2x15 setup but I can't find any new 2x15 cabs.

Anyone know if people still make them?

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Mesa/Boogie and Hartke come to mind right away, I'm sure there's others. You might be able to convince me to unload my Sunn 215B with new JBLs though ;).

Ray

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Oh don't tease me like that with a Sunn 215B :p ...Are those new JBL's or redone vintage ones? I got to play a Sunn 115 last Wed. with a vintage JBL and it was nice but the bassist was using a Crate PA to run it so it sounded decent at best...

I don't have any money at the moment as I'm in between jobs but my mind is always churning for my next setup. I'll definately keep you in mind when I get some money again. :D

But back on topic. If you don't want the mud you think you get but need more pushing power check out getting a 2x12 from Avatar. Nice happy medium.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny,

but i just tried a MAG combo and head at my local shop, and loved what i heard! the EQ section is voiced just the way i like it with a massive punch in the low mids knob, and had nice detail all around. IMHO, an amazing deal for the prices i saw them go for. quite impressed.

i say go with the smaller MAG head, with the 2x10 and 1x15 setup. should be more than enough punch and low end booty.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Brand new JBLs, 400W each, either 8 or 16 ohm each, don't remember for sure...oh well! I don't use it since I'm at college.

Ray

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It's not funny, Ashdowns rock, plain and simple. :D

Ray

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well looks like I'm going to need to rob a bank or something :)
    I know I can put it to good use but my family isn't going to like me blowing out windows...Seriously thinking about it once I get cash.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No rush if you are interested, I'll be 1,000 miles away from it until May.
    I really miss the way it sounded with my Acoustic B320 head. Tone out the wazoo, but really, I'm more happy with my Ashdown. Goes to show that ya just need to fid your own thing, and try everything ya can.

Ray

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Ashdown is also making a 2x15 now. Pricey but being Ashdown its probably worth it!

EDIT: BTW, there is a nice Trace Elliot 2x15 on Ebay right now for $450. :D

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you can make the stretch I would try to avoid the combo+speaker option...You will end up a little short in the watt dept..
    You can always run a smaller cab on a big amp but you can't run a big(or extra)cabs on a small amp....as far as 4-10's goes, they are fine as long as you don't but crap...let the house supply the "very" bottom for you..if they can't, then more than likely the kick will be soft too and no one will be dancing anyway!!!!!!!
    Bag End 4-10 w/ the coax....best "big" cab around!!!