1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

112 PLUS 210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by obimark, Mar 28, 2013.

1. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I have a GB streamliner 900 that I play through a DNA 112DNs (not the micro cabinet)

My situation is I want to buy one other cabinet to leave at my band practice space so I will just move the head for practice back and forth. For bigger gigs I'd combine both cabinets.

I am really leaning towards a 210, because I think it will hold its own better as a standalone more than a 112.

Am leaning towards having an Avatar B210Neo made with tolex covering.

WHo has experience with a 112 and a 210? (and before it is said, my budget for this cab does not include a fearful 112 at $800-950) I want to spend around $400-449. (My band practice volume is fairly low so the medium power 210 would cover it fairly well.)

2. If the 2x10 is parallel wired, it will make more noise.
    Stacked vertically, the 2x10 will have better horizontal dispersion.
    The 12 will beam at a lower frequency than the 10, but not by much.

I would do a pair of 2x10, and skip the 12 + 210 combination.
    These are acoustically dissimilar, especially compared with a pair of 2x10.
    Make sure both 2x10 are the same make/model.

3. obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Except I love the tone of my DNA 112 and don't want to get rid of it.

Maybe I should just double down and try another less expensive 112 with it, like the GK 112 neo then...

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    If you love your DNA cab, wouldn't plan A be to get a second one just like it?

5. obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Yes, but the $$ is more than I want to spend for one if I don't have to, if I can combine it with the GK 112 and get the same overall effect (or a 210)...

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Understood! It's been talked to death here, but mixing different brands and types of cabs can be a bit of a dice roll :D

7. obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Gotcha- that's why I was curious if anyone had tried a 210 plus 112 configuration. The safest bet seems to do another 112 (both from size and acoustic properties). One thing is for sure the DNA is almost loud enough all by its lonesome. Maybe i try it with the avatar 112neo. Those two cabs should be a fairly good match.

8. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    All this hyperbole about phase cancellation is nothing but pomp and theory. Nobody knows what is going to happen when mixing cabs/driver sizes.
    Give it a rest already.
    :bassist:

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Your second sentence is precisely the point. Mixing differing cabinets is a crap shoot. If they meld well, wonderful. If they don't, money has been wasted. the safest bet every time is a pair of identical cabinets. there is nothing about that statement that contains either pomp or theory.

10. Your right......until it is tried together, nobody knows. Are you willing to front the money for him to try to experiment ?

You know what is sure to work though without having to experiment ?

A matching cab

11. obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    True enough, but I imagine there is someone on this very board who has played thru a 112 + 210 setup. I know I saw a guy on the EDEN board who rocked their 210 + 112 and he seemed to love it.

The price on the avatar 112 is tempting so I may just give that a try, since for a lot of my gigs, I probably could get by with 1 cab.

12. The only problem is that in order for you to know, it would have to be someone that has played YOUR exact cab combination, not just ANY combination of a 1X12 and a 2X10.

And just because the Avatar is a 1X12 does not mean it will play well with your existing 1X12.

The only way to know is to buy & try. But if it don't work out right, you have already spent the money.

13. I'd love any concrete experiences as well. I'm in kind of the same boat. Understood that matching cabs is best, but I'd like to hear about positive experiences with mismatched (brand) cabs + the Streamliner.

14. obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Exactly,- that is what folks don't realize, unless you have the $$ to buy matching stuff at the same time, sometimes it is impossible. For instance my DNA 112 cabinet has either gone out of production or just isn't as readily available now, even if I wanted to put down the money for it.

Models change all the time, so even if you buy the "same" cabinet it will be slightly different (like the GK models changing ever 6 months for instance).
    Aesthetically I do like for the cabinets to Look close, jsut for show. In my situation I want flexibility to leave ONE cab at our practice space and another at my house. And combine them IF needed for gigs. (Ie I am not hauling either back and forth every other week)
    So, if anyone on here has actually mixed a 210 and a 112, how did it sound? Doesn't need to be the exact models I list. Could be any of them.

I think my search for my main head is OVER. The GB streamliner is warm and juicy and fat!! Like a Ruth Chris steak!
    Thanks!

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The point is, you're talking about a 210 and 112 under the assumption that all 210's are the same, and all 112's are the same. They're not. The only thing you know for SURE, is you don't know, and neither does anyone else. Any 2 mis-matched cabs is a gamble. Could sound great, could absolutely suck. No way to know without trying, thus the suggestions to go with a combination that WILL work, everytime: 2 identical cabs.

16. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    I play 2 rigs -
    The first is a custom built 212 on top of a Redstar 115.
    The second is a custom pair - 112 with a 115. I have never had problems with either rig.
    Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm too old and deaf to hear any anomalies.