1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12 weeks

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fatgoogle, Mar 20, 2009.

1. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    So maybe some of you have seen my other thread. I had my first intro lesson, and had great fun. My teacher is renting me a double bass a 10er a month, seems reasonable. So i would like to look for a DB of my own. 0-1000 is my max especially in these recissive times. Ive been scanning thmann, some stuff does look nice, around 900 and looks well made etc to my eye anyway. Just wondering if you had any ideas on something tyhat would suit me, 6', big, new to it. I would like to last, and might be able to do small gigs, coffee shop things with it.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm

nicest one i saw for sho.

Thanks
    Sam H

2. E.P. Miller

E.P. Miller Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville
    If 1000 Euro is all you plan to spend, then you might as well start with the Thomann bass. I'm sure they are no better or worse than anything else in that price range. If it's perfectly set up at that price, then great. If not, you'll need to budget for that as it's 100% necessary. A local luthier's advice regarding those basses and set up costs is what you must seek next.

3. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    I would also like to last ;)

No experience with that brand, but have you tried a search of this site and read the newbie links? There's lots of good info here if you do a little digging. I think I've seen that brand come up before. Is that 900 euros? what's that in dollars?

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    900 euros is $1220 US dollars.

5. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Anything else i should look at.

6. tinyd

tinyd

Mar 11, 2003
    Ireland
    Hi Fatgoogle
    From the Thomann URL that you posted it looks like you, like me, are from Ireland. I was going to get a bass from Thomann as well but I was lucky recently to pick up a used Shen for 1000 euro from a guy in Dublin. If you're going to get one from Thomann, from what I've read on TalkBass it might be worth scraping another few quid together and getting a Christopher bass:-

http://www.thomann.de/ie/christopher_db_103_kontrabass_3_4_2.htm

There's also a Shen SB80 going for 1250 euro on buyandsell.ie - you might be able to knock the price down a bit.

Hope this helps

Dave

7. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Ok ill see, ive got 12 weeks, two conerts at around 200 each, a guitar 150-200, thats 550, if i can get my job, a bit more and then parents, ill have too see anyway. Those christopher ones do look nice. Are the shens reputable for chinese bass's. I had a chinese trumpet and it was crap, so eh ive always been wary.

8. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
  9. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Ok rougly do different shapes of double bass, make a difference especially to a beginner or do they not make a difference.Also i know contrabass is the italien word? but is their any difference between contrabass and Double bass in any sense.

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Shapes do make a difference and preferences sure do vary. The shape certainly affects the sound and that's a matter of physics. I suspect you want to know how the shape affects playing the bass. What I think of first in that regard is the slope of the shoulders. Their design can really affect how easy it is to transition into and out of thumb position (TP). So-called "solo" basses often have highly sloped shoulders. It's not that simple though. The rib-depth, overstand (how far the neck sticks out from the body), and other factors along with the shape all combine to affect playability. The better of the modern makers have paid close attention to these factors in their designs in order to enhance playability. I mention "modern makers" because it seems you're interested in a new bass. This is just a brief answer-- I suspect others will follow. :)

11. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks for that and the pm. Im so happy, im now renting the Db, and even through im just plucking open strings and some notes, that ive got the sound of, its goooood. Ill be getting a bow next week to use. To me i enjoyed the bow more, it gave a far richer sound to my ears. And playing picaso? seemed to quite lack on the E, maybe iots the bass, maybe its me starting out, but still woooo.

12. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    it´s the same to me after 25 years:)

13. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Stick.

Im just so elated, crap day at school, and i come with a double bass, going to see if i can borrow the bow from school as noone ever uses it. Cant wait to learn a tune or a scale, or something.

14. Maybe think about that "picaso" thingy you mentioned in that other post?

15. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    paul,what did you know about "picaso" when you were 16?

16. I knew I didn't care for his work. Then, as now, I was into Vincent.

17. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    :)

18. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hi fatgoogle, you mean "pizzicato"= plucking the string with your finger, did you?

19. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    show me your ears

20. How about just the one?