1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15", 2x12" or 4x10" For A Single Cab Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 20, 2011.

1. 15"

53 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. 2x12"

126 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. 4x10"

145 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I have been looking at 410 cabs online the last few weeks as I get ready to get a cab. I will only be buying one cab and after I viewed the video I am linking below it really made me wonder if a 410 is going to be the best/fullest sounding setup. I know it may vary depending on the make but what do you think?

A 212 and 410 comparison.

2. I use both a 212 and 410 depending on the situation. I find that though the 212 has a bit of warmer tone to it, the 410 holds its clarity at higher volumes. Either way, you can't lose!

EDIT: Berg's sound great regardless of what size they are, everyone knows this!

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    All 15s are not equal. If you have a good cab with a 3015LF, it will be at least as loud and low as a 410.

Chef and primusfan1989 like this.
  4. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Don't forget about the midrange driver if choosing a 3015 LF design. Otherwise you'll be sounding kinda tubby :p...

5. These days I like the idea of lower driver count in my cabs because of weight. A nice healthy 15 cab crossed with a mid can keep up with the output of a 4x10 cab.

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I voted 410, assuming you're going to be using it on stage. Volume-wise I'd never be able to get away with anything less than that.

Assuming studio, I'd probably go with a 15.

7. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    I've played through a few 4x10s, even played through a 2x10 recently. Ultimately, I just don't like 10s for bass.

What I like about 15s is that I can have the deep warmth and the honking mids - with 4x10s it seems to be one or the other, often with a bit of a clacky top to boot.

2x12s I can't comment on, I'm afraid.

8. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    2x15, or 8x10... these are single cabs!!!:eyebrow:
    *wispers from the back*I think he means single small cab

:scowl: Fine, I'd go either 2x12 or 1x15. 15's just sound so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper:

9. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    A 4x10 will move more air than the other cabs and are normally more punchy and quicker responses.

That said it's still down to make/model of cabs. My fender rumble 100 combo (15" + tweet) was an awesome sounding amp. My ABM300 head + ABM 210 cab sounds better. But I wouldnt ever run my head with my ABM115 cab on it's own (small/practice situations)

But that's probs cuza my style.
    My point... More 10s the better IMO :)

10. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    This is what it comes down to really, isn't it? So tell us, pray, Mr Ryevick: what sort of sound are you after? If you want a bright, articulate jazz-funk-type sound then start amassing those 10s. If your influences are more in the vein of John Entwistle and Lemmy then you might want to consider larger diameters.

11. Totally false as a blanket statement..................

There are plenty of 2X12's, and yes, also single 15's that can keep up with a 4X10.

The blanket statement that 10's have a quicker response is also false.

Chef likes this.
  12. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Tone of the box does NOT depend on driver size, but the whole way the cab is engineered. A fEarful 15-6 will do anything from hifi to dub with ease. This is 2011, not 1972:p

Chef, two fingers and revroy like this.
  13. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Ok, obviously there are many more factors which will determine the tone, but the speaker size still affects the balance. Likewise, I've heard tell of GK bass combos which can allegedly be made to sound like a 4x15 but only use a single 10" speaker. But sadly not all of us can afford such high-end technology - on the sort of budget I would have to work to, I suspect the size of the speaker still makes an appreciable difference.

14. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I wish the question had been worded, "Which manufacturer's single-cab solution would you choose for [music_type] played with [type_of_band] to get [specific_tone_type] in front of [number_of_people], and why?"

15. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    An Avatar TB153 is a 3 way cab with neo long x-max 15 and a 6 inch mid. Give it 500 watts and it'll go as loud as a good 410, lower and clearer. Costs under 600 in N. Am.

I have heard muddy 410s, clear 212s and big Phil Jones boxes with 5 inch speakers that go very low. Even in cheap boxes, small ones with 15s tend to be middy (Schroeder, the cheaper GK offerings) as well. IMHO generalizing from driver size to cab sound is more confusing than helpful. YMMV.

Chef likes this.
  16. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I'm under the impression that all other things being equal it's speaker surface area that ultimately determines volume. Using that metric a 410 has about 25% more surface area than a 212 and should be louder.

17. You CANNOT go by just speaker surface area alone because they are cone shaped (three dimensional), AND speakers act like pistons to move air...........

You have to take into account it's displacement value based upon it's cone travel.

revroy likes this.
  18. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    :bag: Get a 4 ohm Aguilar db212 and you won't be sorry :bag:

19. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Well one reason it's not worded that way is I play styles with tones that range from Lemmy to Manring to Geddy to Jaco and everything in between so I am looking for versatility. I also am wanting to use it everywhere from home to studio to stage and there's no telling if I will be alone or in front of a crowd so again... versatility. If I had to give a description I suppose I would say the ability for huge seismic bass with clarity throughout.

Answering it your way for yourself would possibly be helpful to me though. ;)

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It really does depend on the specific cabs, not the driver size. You really need to go out and play through as many different bass cabs as you possibly can, and then you'll start to get a feel for what's what. All this talk of 4x10 vs. 2x12, etc is pointless, and has absolutely zero to do with how any particular bass cab will sound, or how loud it will be.