1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15" Bass Speaker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray_666, Mar 30, 2009.

1. So it seems the cab I just bought has different speakers than the tag (not to mention it blew out the tubes of my V4) I got a Marshall 2x15 cab that was supposed to have 250w celestions at 8ohms. I turned on my V4 and after a few it went HUUMMMMM crapout!!! So I opened up the cab and found (2) JBL D130F @ 8ohms each making it a 4 ohm load... I'm selling those speakers and will look for a suitable replacement....any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Bill

2. your saying that plugging into a 4 ohm load instead of 8 blew your tubes? halving the load can be a bit harder on tubes, but its not a big problem. are you sure that the speakers were correctly connected to the input jack on the cab and you had a working lead connecting the 2? try testing the cab with a multimeter. it should read about 3 ohms dc resistance if it is a 4 ohm cab.

and for speaker reccomendations, how is the cab configured? is is ported or sealed? whats the internal volume? if ported, whats the tuning (or just measure the ports so someone can figure it out).

3. My amp tech told me that running the amp at 8ohms with a 4 ohm load can cause a power problem in one or more than one of the tubes. The cab is a marshall 2x15 with a 6 inch port between the 2 speakers. The speakers are wired in series and set diagonal.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    As I recall the original V4B was a 4 ohm cab. Tube amps can have problems handling higher impedance loads, but are seldom affected by lower impedance loads. OTOH if the drivers are 8 ohm series wired that would be a 16 ohm load and could be a problem.

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Bill, this is different from my experience with transformer-coupled home audio tube amps, wherein a higher-than-designed-for impedance load is usually more benign than a lower (voltage limiting vs current limiting). I'm not disputing you, just interested in knowing the reason(s). Perhaps it's as simple as, in a tube bass amp, the output transformers are wound with the expectation of a four-ohm load?

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Could be. It's a pretty safe bet that if an amp's got jacks to plug in more than one speaker that it will happen. I remember running Fenders with even 1 ohm loads with never a complaint back in the day. Said Fenders were wired with a closed circuit output jack that shorted the transformer secondary when there's no speaker plugged in, as a no-load can toast it. I've also seen guys run into problems running with the 'correct' load with very low Qts drivers that have higher impedance peaks than cabs with high Qts drivers.

7. My mistake, the speakers were wired in parallel. I had my amp set to 8 ohms and the load was 4 ohms.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That still shouldn't have bothered it. Assuming this is a sealed cab it's impedance will look similar to this chart of a Fridge:

SVT8x10impedance.

Impedance is not a static figure, it varies with frequency. SS amps don't work well when the lowest value drops below their rated minimum, while tube amps are the opposite, not working well when the peak impedance value is higher than the output transformer is designed for. You might have problems running a 16 ohm nominal load on a 4 ohm tap, but running a 4 ohm nominal load on an 8 ohm tap shouldn't be problematic.

9. the dims in cm are 75.5x74.5x44.5,

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Did you get any sound from the cab before the mishap?

11. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    This sounds a bit fishy to me. I have to think it is a coincidence. I've had a V4B and now a V4 and have run them with various speakers that have not always been matched to the output impedance and have had no problems (by the way I used to use my V4B with a 2x15 cabinet with JBL K140s). As BillF posted, speaker impedance isn't constant anyway so unless there is a gross mismatch and you're pushing the amp to it's limits there shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like something was about to go in your amp and it happened to pick the time that you used this speaker. Is your amp hosed right now?

12. I spoke with my tech today and he suspects a bad power tube. Might have been just a conicidence. Still have yet to decide on speakers.......

13. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    so here is a list of 16 ohm 15's!
    Eminence delta 15B
    Beyma 15XA38ND
    Jensen P15N-NB-16
    Jensen NEO15-150-16
    Jensen MOD15-120-16
    Jensen MOD15-200-16
    Jensen C15N-16
    Jensen C15K-16

14. As I recall, the D130 was more of a guitar speaker than a bass one. However you now have to start the exercise of finding what speaker will actually work in your cabinet. Measure the cabinets internal dimensions and the porting and try to match them up with a suitable driver. WinISD is your friend here.

Paul

15. It sounded decent but lacked low end...makes sense as it was loaded with guitar speakers.

16. I downloaded WINISD, I have to be honest and tell you I have no clue what to do with it!

17. I recently noticed that the cab was not wired in series or parallel, the wiring came from the jack to one speaker, looped from that speaker to the other. What do you call that?

18. I decided on Eminence Delta 2515. Loaded up the cab and they sound pretty damn good....

19. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Answer) A very poor description of a staggeringly simple electrical circuit.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html