Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15 on top 210 on bottom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I have been stacking my cabinets this way recently,and I wonder if anyone else has tried it. and would you recomend it for stage?:meh:

2. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    That's a weird way of stacking it. Is there a reason for it? I've got my 15 below my 210 because it's on wheels and plus its heavier and bigger so naturally I think it belongs on the bottom.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I also play a 1x15 and a 2x10, and I put the 2x10 on top. My thinking is that the low tone waves from the 15 don't get coherent until they're 10 or 15 feet from the cabinet, anyway, so that benefits the audience and/or my band mates if I'm side washing. The 2x10 gives a tighter, quicker response with more upper harmonics - overtones - so that is essentially the cab I hear as my monitor. And I want the cabinet I can hear at close range to be closest to my ears, so I put it on top.

However, I'm about to forget that arrangement, make the plunge and buy a Schroeder 21012. If everything I read is true I will have the best of all worlds with a single cab. Can anyone verify that for me?

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Best to have the mid-cutting 10's up higher near your ear and the lows of the 15 on the floor...

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There have been threads on this in the past, but I have no clever hints to give you for searching for them effectively.

I think those that do it find that it works better in certain rooms, etc.

6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    well, the way I see it, the audience is usually below me,and the 10's throw better,so I keep them low to the ground.which is what the audience gets in their faces first. I also enjoy the thump of the 15 hitting me in the chest...My 15 also has a very good tweeter in it,so it sounds good to me that way,and it seems beneficial to the audience.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Look's like Lowtonejoe does this. ie. the guy that is the latest supporting member. And claims it's the ultimate when paired up with a Warwick.

8. same. my 15 has wheels and is heavy, my 210 doesnt have wheels and is light and smaller. so i just always stuck it on top.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    lowtonejoe's 15 looks like a bag end, which is a mid heavy cab as i have heard. ( dont know first hand). this 210 is an eden. IF the eden is the xst, could it be possible that his 210 has more low end that his 115, due to the cab tuning/brand/driver? if so, this could be why he "reverse stacked" them. just a guess.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    [​IMG]

Actually yes,

the 15 is an 8 ohm Bag End S15-CUS. It's like the S15-d but has a bigger box for, in my opinion, better bass response. And yes, it is mid heavy and is why it is on top.

the 210 is a 4 ohm Eden D210-XLT. It actually has a tighter focussed lower bass response than the 15. So it is on the bottom. And since I really like the traditional 'Eden' sound I am not interested in the XST. The XLT has puh-lenty of booty. Trust me.

I have used both cabs separately on numerous occasions and think they are both great. Together there is an accumulative effect that is incredibly sweet to my ears.

But then I thought the same thing when I paired my Super Redhead (now long gone :crying:) with the Eden.

I am proud of this rig but it's not my only one. But if I had to choose only one this is what I would keep. But I don't want to have to do that. Each piece of gear has it's own merits that I value highly.

No matter what you have, I feel that your rig only needs to do 2 things.

1. Does the job well.

2. Sounds good to you.

:D

Joe.

11. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    I put my 15 on top because the 410 is wider.

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I think it looks cooler too!:D

13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yep.

Then there's that!

:D

Joe.

14. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I too use a 210 and a 15 (Ampegs). Many times when we rehearse I just use the 210 and have it on the floor. The sound is much more undefined to me when used that way. Getting it off the floor and on top of the 15 makes it brighter and punchier, and that is the way I use it for gigs.
    The 15 cab is larger and heavier than the 210 so it just made sense to stack them this way.
    Actually, I have never thought about it before this thread.
    Maybe I will give the inverse setup a try ......

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're doing it the right way for the right reasons.

16. basshawk

basshawk

Dec 18, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I use have a Bergantino HT115 which I use on top of a HT310. I set it up that way for purely logistical reasons...the HT310 is MUCH heavier. It still sounds great on stage, though I haven't done any sound checks from the audiences' perspective.

Johnny

17. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    I find that my later model MB's, 1-15 & 2-10 are voiced much deeper than my old MB 2-15. Running the 1-15 on top & the 2-10 on the bottom gives a tighter sound to the 15, which I favor 15's. I guess this is somewhat from decoupling the 15 from the floor (?). The 2-10 is a punchy cab to begin with and does well on the floor. Gives me an overall medium loose feel which I prefer.

The 2-15 is a much tigter, mid-range cab being the older RR '83 model. I just run the 2-10 on top due to cab sizes. I just hope I can keep getting away with a 2.67 ohm load with this combination. So far the MP-600 hasn't done any thermal shutdowns even last summer. ;)

BC :cool: