1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

16mm 4 string bass bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mick F, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Mick F

Mick F

Jan 18, 2019
    I'm building twin neck uke/bass using an acoustic baritone ukulele and a guitar neck (fender copy). My uke club loved the prototype with the short neck and the baritone. Now I have to make some more! The problem is I can't find a cheap 16mm spacing 4 string bridge. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    What do you need 16mm for?

3. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    There are a couple styles of 15mm spacing usually on e-bay. You are looking for four string correct?

4. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Check out this on e-bay item #152788834501. It has 15mm spacing but the string holes would need to be drilled larger for bass size ball ends.

5. Mick F

Mick F

Jan 18, 2019
    Just ordered some cheap single string units at 15.5mm width ebay (aklot) so that should do the trick. Just have to wait 6 weeks for them! 15mm bridge would also work. On the guitar neck the strings can't be at 19mm as they are off the edge. Think it was Gibson who went to 19mm in the 60's, before that, in my youth, i played a Gretch that I'm sure was much closer spacing. I struggle to play 19mm and a long neck but them as a rhythm guitarist I would...

6. Mick F

Mick F

Jan 18, 2019
    Thanks for that Slidlow - saved the link to watch list

7. Mick F

Mick F

Jan 18, 2019
    Strings are on a guitar short neck and 19mm fall off the edge of the neck. 15/16 fits nice and is very playable. We have a couple of bass ukes with similar spacing - very short necks and strings are 5mm rubber on 4th string!

8. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Ok that explains it, I'm working on a guitar scale acoustic using La Bella cb40s which are pretty much standard gauge and the 4 string is about 18mm.

9. I needed a 17mm spaced bridge for a short scale Strat conversion bass.

I had a cheap Chinese P bass bridge in stock so shortened the saddles (I used a lathe but you could file the ends as long as you are careful), then filed the intonation screw holes and the string holes inwards so the saddles were at the correct width.

My plan was to drill a strip of stainless to go on the back of the bridge and hold the saddle screws and strings in the correct place in their slots but the bass never got finished as the need for it disappeared.

One day I might finish it! :rolleyes: