Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18" cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Do you like them?
    I have never heard any.
    Do they really have a Clear sound? Don't they sound unreal?

2. I don't like them. I don't think of them as having a 'clear' sound. They don't sound unreal- they sound real- real bad.

And go practice!

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd like to get me one, but they are really hard to find with a high RMS

4. I dont like them, but then again, i dont really like 15's, the stuff i play personally sounds a **** lot better with the punch of 10's

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The SWR Big Ben is an 18" that's about as un-18" as they get. It's and 18, but closer in sound to a really quick 15. Almost a 12, really. As a standalone cab, not so much, but as the low end in a full stack, it's pretty dangerous.

I ended up selling the one I owned because I needed the money. If not for that, I still wouldn't mind owning one.

6. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    I have an old Peavey 1820 cab (2 10sx 1 18) and had it refit with EAW speakers and I'm very pleased with its performance...in particular, its delivery of the B-string notes from D# to B

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Depending on its application, an 18 IS a very deadly cabinet. Keep in mind, there are high & low quality versions, as in all gear...

~S~

8. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    I have the SWR Big Ben + EBS NEO 1x12, each run from a separate channel on my power amp. I use the power amps volume knobs as my "bass & treble" controls. I don't even use the eq on my preamp.

Big Ben gives you the 'missing' bottom octave that you often have to EQ into the 10's + 12's. :bag:

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Many, MANY moons ago I used to use an 18" with a 2x10, bi-amped. And then I started working with PA support, and having an 18" on stage for the bass rig will just tick off the sound engineer. Almost useless for near-monitoring situations, they throw low end far out into the room without being very loud when standing right in front of the cab.

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hear the Eden 118XLT is quite a cab, but, I haven't heard it myself.

danman

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A good 18" has a lot of slow(ish) reacting bass, and starts to drop off pretty rapidly once you get into the high mids. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depends on the music. I tend to prefer 15"s for my big drivers, but I've been using a friend's big ben and I must admit that its got a ton of booty. Sounds great with my 4x10.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    id rather prune the tendons right out of my spine.

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    hey, my guitar center has one for sale, used, and i always see it and i start to wonder what it sounds like.

14. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have this cab, too, and after blowing something like three of the 18" Black Widows, I decided to try a 1,000watt RMS Madison Excecutioner. Holy Handgrenades, Batman!!! :eek: The improvement was stunning! This is the most seismic-sounding cab I have tried so far. Too bad it's a behemoth...

But, getting hooked on that deep low end response, I have just located, secured, but have not yet received, my new (to me!) Accugroove Gordo 1x18!!! :hyper: I thinking of powering it with my CA9 and using this in conjunction with my Whappo, Jr. being driven by my DB 728 - to give me the best of both SS and tube worlds! :D

16. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I realize my age will be showing from this post, but I have to say it...I used to have a rig in the late 70's and early 80's that kicked major butt. Please don't laugh, but I had a Peavey CS200, Peavey pre-amp and a Peavey bass bottom that had a folded horn with an 18" Black Widow in it. This bottom was only about 3' tall and had tilt back casters on it. I know it sounds silly, but that was a great sounding set up. Of course now I'm playing through a Aguilar DB659, Stewart 1.6 and two Aguilar GS212's, so I guess I can't complain. I guess my point is (if I have one), with the right 18" bottom, it can make a difference.

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

For the love of all that is mighty...PLEASE stop buying gear!!!! Go to the park, read a book, walk your dog,....but please leave some gear for the rest of us!!!!! :D

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Tom, this is for you!...

~S~

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    didnt /doesnt the acoustic 360 have an 18?

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^It does.. Mighty fine sounding one at that.

I love the sound of Big Bens and the Eden 18's.. Though alot of the time 18's arn't need because of PA, i still like the cabs.