1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1940 Kay O-100B $2400

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Dave Gordon, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kay Bass, SN 7723. Nickle Kluson tuners.

The O-100B is the blond model of the O_100 series. The bass is very playable. It has an unusually narrow neck profile that appears to be original. There are no cracks or splits. Fishman BP-100 pickups and a Pro-EQ preamp are included. I have never experienced feedback using these pickups, even in large halls at (way too) high volume. This bass is in good condition except for the following:

The previous owner stripped it and refinished with polyurethane. The front is bare wood.

There is a small patch on the bottom rear that was excellently done.

The end peg is not original.

The cover is in pieces because the piping came out.

I took this bass to a reputable violin repairman and had the neck separation fixed (Nancy Rohn, Corvallis, Oregon). I played this bass for years, but medical problems prevent me from playing uprights any longer due to shoulder limitations.

Location is Corvallis Oregon. Images upon request.

2. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I've never heard of this model--is it rare?

3. I'm told the "B" blond mdl is less common than the O-100. I know I am having trouble finding any for sale to use for a price comparison. The price listed is in the lower range of what the music store owner suggested, but I don't know for sure.

4. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I just bought an 0-100 from a girl in Philly about a month ago. It's a '41 and had been sitting in her living room , uplayed, for 12 years. It is in good condition and has the deep sound I have been looking for..should be my bass for life, what's left of it. It's looking like I got a real good deal from what Dave says. Just picked it up yesterday from the "bass monkey", Molly Kay's better half, who tweaked the bridge and installed tail gut. Real pleased so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.