Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1959 Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jan 28, 2006.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, it's a not a great amp for bass. (maybe at low volumes, but i didn't try it for fear of killing the older than me cones)

but jeez!

yeah, this is a BASS forum, but indulge me. :p

My GP is an amp freak and in addition to other amps of various types, modern and vintage, he has quite a collection of vintage fender blackface amps - (which sound head and shoulders much better than re-issues). However, he recently scored a vintage '59 tweed bassman and all i can say is WOW! What a freakin' tone monster of a guitar amp. Light as a feather too. It easily replaced his 100 watt marshall head and 4x12 cab and is sooooooo mush easier to transport. Even the blackface super, vibroverb, deluxe, pro, twin, and vibroluxe sound pale in comparison.

I think i'm in love. :D

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had black and silver, but never tweed.
    But, I don't play guitar...

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That sucker is worth a fortune it it's even close to original. Do whatever you can to have him will it to you.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I think that amp is considered " The Holy Grail" for harmonica players...

5. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    It's the holy Grail for guitar players too, even more so than plexi Marshalls (which are partialy based on the tweed Bassmans). It's most popular with blues players (like Budy Guy and John Lee Hooker and about 90% of the other blues players out there).

I've been pondeing one (the reissue) for my bass, I want a distort Dusty Hill kind of sound (Dusty uses guitar amps rather than bass amps).

~Paul :)

6. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Speaking of ZZ Top.. I heard Tube Steak Boogie on the radio twice yesterday..is that bass sound through the Fender? It sounds real good..

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The likelyhood of hearing a mic'ed cab only on any recording made in the last 20 years is very slim, even with live cuts there's almost always going to be at best a blend of mic and DI, and in the studio pure DI is the rule, not the exception.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    for higher end professional studio's, will they use the DI out of the bass amp/head that the player usually uses/likes, or wil lthey use a separate DI box of some sort of super duper low noise studio quality?

I wonder what the chances are that i am hearing a bass played through something i would be familiar with... an eden bass amp DI out? sansamp DI into the board? Presonus? Or is there a whole other rhelm of non consumer gear i havnt heard about ? probably the latter.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in the studio, (on pro-level recordings at least) the chances are that the bass is run thru the equipment the studio has and the engineers and producers are the most familiar and comfortable with. Not that the DI outs of todays amps are bad, but the chances are that the bass makes its way to tape through a high quaility mic pre and tube compressor.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That is true, although my friend tried playing harmonica through my Ampeg SB-12, which is a pretty crappy bass amp, mediocre guitar amp, but it makes an absolutely KILLER harp amp.

11. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn

What if you are trying to get a vintage sound for your band? A good recent example I can think of is the Arcade Fire's album Funeral. That recording sounds like the speakers were mic'd and fed through a tape machine. Kind of reminds me of Velvet Underground's Loaded... I mean, I have to admit, if I was going to make a rock and roll record I'd want it to sound like that.

This reminds me.. just for the record if any of your cats want to make an investment, the craiglist philly section has the tape machine for sale that countless bands have used for that gritty lo-fi sound.

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    :D

love to. we'll see.

i''m holding out for that and the entire collection of blackface amps. Of course, he's the kind of guy who will buy 1 or 2 more just to have backups.

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    A good engineer can deliver any sound you want when he mixes. The idea in the studio is to get a pristine clean signal, you can always make a clean tone dirtier but you can never clean up a dirty tone. You don't get a pristine clean signal via an amp and mic, or the internal DI from an amp or even an external DI. You plug the bass direct into a channel of your $100,000+ board. Often a producer will have a mic'ed track available, especially to keep the artist happy, but unless your last name is McCartney chances are you'll have little to say about what the final mix sounds like.

14. I'm missing something -

This is a Bassman amp, eh?

Why is it for guitar? :eyebrow:

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Because it sounds brutal with a bass...

My buddy just bought a Bassman clone from the Victoria amp company. We A/B'd the victoria with his mint cond. '59 and the victoria destroyed it. The '59 sounded amazing though.

16. brutally....bad?

why would fender make a bass amp that sounds bad with bass and good with guitar?

oh, wait. I forgot - Fender is run by mindless androids....

:p

17. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Being the evil guitar player that he is, my father has acquired quite a few amps through the years. Although it is a Bassman, it really does sound incredible with a guitar.

Since this thread is about the '59 Bassman, I thought I'd share this with everyone: two all original '59 Bassman amps. One's in much better shape than the other. (sorry about the quality, edited for size)

[​IMG]

But, I agree with quallabone; the Victoria kills.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

18. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, SRV played through a Fender Bassman (as well as Marshall's and Dumbles).

19. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    They sound very good with bass, just not very loud. They sound great with guitar, quite loud too.

When the Bassman came out it was pretty much the only thing of its kind - portable and loud for the time. They were made for the new electric basses that Fender pioneered, but guitar players found they sounded great for guitar. Leo Fender ran the company at that time.

Here's a site with a bit of history: http://www.fender-amp.com/history.asp

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    +1