1962 Jazz bass -- 5.4lbs??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnaton, Mar 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    New York
    Have you folks ever heard of a Jazz bass weighing this little? I know a lot more about vintage P's and 8.5-9.5 is kinda the range there. Have a 64 and 69 and they're in the same range too.

No obvious routing, weighed it twice and 5.4lbs is it. Something up? Rare gem? Feels very strange.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.14.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.13.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.15.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.14.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.14.35 PM.png

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That is insanely light.

Ronzo and ajkula66 like this.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have had one 1962 Jazz bass in my hands ever. I remember it not being heavy, but there is no way it was less than 7 or 8 pounds.

JRT64 likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds like an acoustic guitar weight.

lizardking837, Root 5, JoshS and 2 others like this.
  5. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I'll bet your scale is reading out in kilograms.

6. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    New York
    A great suggestion but the first thing I checked! Would make it a 12lb'er then too. 13.8lbs with case

Picton likes this.
  7. Seems quite unusual. You say no obvious routing, so we may assume you've looked under the pickguard? Does it subjectively feel that light? 5.4# would be really noticeable.

cazclocker, halech54 and JMacBass65 like this.
  8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    sounds off. try a couple more scales. try a hanging scale if you can.

AudioTaper and jd56hawk like this.
  9. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    Move your bathroom scale away from the counter.

A5B228CD-A22E-4F6B-8F83-3C362A2F6F56.jpeg

10. babsobass

babsobass

Jan 10, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Also, are you sure its a '62? It doesn't look like it has a slab board like I would expect.

7dollarbologna and Ghastly like this.
  11. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    New York
    Ah yeah October 62 so missed the boat on slab.

After some further sleuthing with the seller... scales busted :banghead:. Sorry for wasting everyones time.

Will circle back with a NBD if I land up purchasing. Asking 11k which seems not awful

johnson79, selowitch, Picton and 5 others like this.
  12. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    E3FED863-A4C9-4B59-89D5-C05FDD4138EE.jpeg

mikeswals, coreyfyfe, boing and 16 others like this.
  13. 60bass

60bass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    North Carolina
    It may indeed be a 62 but the finish of the neck on the treble side where it meets the body doesn't seem to match the profile of the body. Are you sure that's the original neck / body? I've seen a lot of vintage basses listed for sale that were assembled from vintage parts. So therefore not IMO 100% factory original. Still a sweet looking bass. But also honestly, how does someone get that much finish chipping in the lower cutaway? Smooth finish wear I could see but that's extreme.

14. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    Agreed. Something is off here. I have never heard of, or seen a Jazz Bass under 7 lbs.

wvbass likes this.
  15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Bathroom scale?
    Probably not accurate in the lower end.

Put a 5 pound bag of sugar and a 5 pound bag of flour on it to check accurately.
    OR 1/2 gallon of milk is about 4 pounds.

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Wasn't '62 the transition year from slab to veneer? I think there were jazz basses made both ways that year.

mikeswals likes this.
  17. Barton Lee

Barton Lee Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I have a 66 P bass that weighs 7.6 lbs which is incredibly lightweight and cannot fathom a 62 J that is another 2+ ibs lighter than that, though happy to be proved wrong.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There’s no way your case is 1.8 pounds. It’s time to get a new scale.

moderatelyfunky and Rabidhamster like this.
  19. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Does it feel like a 5 pound bass? That’s about what Beatle bass would weight. It should feel like Styrofoam. You should hit the ceiling accidentally every time and grab it

jd56hawk likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My lightest bass is 6.6 pounds. I build a lot of light basses, and I know what it takes to make a bass light - every piece has to be light to get under 7.5 on a 4 or under 8 on a 5 string. My 6.6 pounder has an insanely light piece of swamp ash for a body, a body shape that's smaller then a jazz, only one pickup, a roasted neck with graphite reinformcement rods, all aluminum hardware (bridge, tuners, neck plate, even the 2 knobs it has are aluminum). It doesn't thave a pickguard (thats about 60 grams or .15 pounds). I highly doubt that any Fender bass with the original clunky steel hardware (tuners, neck plate, bridge, and control plate) weighs less than 6 pounds. Especially a Jazz - bigger body, two pickups, etc.

My 6.6 pound figure is from two scales I have, which weigh to the gram and which always agree with each other within a gram. Technically, that bass is 2984 grams (6.58 pounds), but if you get to that level of precision, and have decent scales, you'll find things like basses weigh 20 or 30 grams less in the winter (in my climate) because they're drier. And, of course, the gauge of strings you put on will change the weight a bit.

A bathroom scale isn't even close to good enough to weigh a bass accurately, but you can get postal or kitchen scales that work very well for that weight range for reasonable prices - I have one of each.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    OldFenderPlayer and 31HZ like this.