1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1967 Aria Pro Owned by Geddy Lee???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfreqgeek, Oct 20, 2010.

1. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
  2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
  3. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    $800 seems an awfully low price for any bass with this kind of history. I certainly would want certified documentation for such a claim. IMO it seems too good to be true.

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    So this sounds like this guy stole it from Geddy. It says Geddy gave it to a roadie to fix the pickups, the roadie gave it to this guy who sent it away for fixing, and then never returned it after it had new pickups.

That OR it got fixed with these new pickups and Geddy didnt like it and, um, let him keep it ?

Sounds a bit odd as how he actually got this, AFAIK rock stars never just give away instruments...

5. Geddy's first two basses were a Canora and a Hagstrom.

6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Just to add to the unbelievability of the story, Deming NM is a small town in the middle of the NM desert, a good hour from anything at all (and at least 4 hours from Albuquerque). Maybe the guy somehow moved there after this bogus-sounding story took place, but it's unlikely...

I'm sure it's a cool bass, Geddy story or no, but it's just too fantastical to be true.

7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    maybe Geddy played the updated bass and decided it wasn't good for Metal, so he offed it and stiffed this guy with the bill. this guy is simply selling it cheap to cover his out of pocket

:bag:

all the best,

R

8. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    "and since they weren't making Aria at the time"
    :eyebrow:

9. it all sounds a bit funny to me

and im not even a rush fan

10. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    someone send a PM on here to Geddy's tech with this link in it...he may be able to shoot an email to Geddy himself to find out what's up with it...

11. Dont you know Geddy is just kicking himself right now for not keeping this bass, and having to put up with playing that Ric all those years....

BnB

12. Geddy's tech is here?

13. Owned by Geddy, pickup hand wound by Seymour Duncan himself and Eddie Van Halen's name thrown in there too.
    What else can we add to make this bass seem even more amazing?
    How about-"used by Moses to part the Red Sea".:D

On a serious note I found this article on Wikipedia regarding Aria guitars. Apparently they have been making basses since 1967. So at least that part may be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria_(guitar_company)

14. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have an Aria Pro bass from 2000 B.C. owned by Moses when he was with the Egyptians...it turned into a snake on him and it slithered away and I ended up with it. PM me if you are interested.

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Steve Vai gives away a lot of guitars.

16. oh what a coincidence

i have a squier that one of the 3 wise men gave to jesus when he was born

17. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    I agree with all that's been said about the dubious story, and the bass is from the early '80s - it's a Cardinal Series bass.

18. Who cares- it's a decent deal for a mint looking cool Aria :D
    The obviously fake backstory adds to the fun!

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    my thoughts exactly.

20. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hey pal, you better give that back. It was given to me by someone pretty important, if you get me. And it'll probably bite you.