1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1969 Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K-Funk, Mar 13, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    There's one on the Detroit Metro Craigslist for $1400. It's in pretty outstanding shape; non-original tubes tho. I'd totally jump on it but A) I love my 400+ and B) I still can't afford it. So I figured I just let those of you who are interested know. Surprised me to see one that low! Esp. for that year!

2. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Lol 69

3. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I don't get it?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Everybody who tries to sell a early 70's SVT swears it is a "1969" model. From what I have read (see below), there were very few actually produced in 1969.

5. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I agree, they are also all from the legendary "blueline" series. The best SVT Ampeg ever made. :oops: :rolleyes: Some prices on the 70s SVTs are getting absurd and beyond. The people on ebay are quite adventurous on pricing them. $1400 is reasonable, its what I paid for a 70s model in good shape a few months ago.

6. I think the Bluelines were made in 70 and 71, plus the 5 made in 69!

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    FWIW, I have also seen some that date to '72 when looking at the pot and cap codes. :ninja:

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Fortunately, the tube relay on mine lets people know that mine is a true 69. Ones without it are a little suspect ;)

9. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I thought SVTs had the tube relay until they switched to 6550s in the design in 70 or 71?

10. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    69 is too old! Don't know where that thing's been :)

11. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA

google it :bag:

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Nope. It was almost immediately dropped. I've seen plenty of 6146-equipped SVT's, none of which have the tube relay.

13. simple11

simple11 Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Take a look at The 69 SVT I have posted in the for sale section of the forums - there a couple of good shots of the tubes, tube diagram, etc...

14. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow, that thing is super clean! Great pics, too. No tube relay, though. I'll be watching your sale very closely, because even though mine isn't nearly as clean, it has the tube relay so I think I can at least get in the ballpark of what yours goes for when I sell it. Might be quite a while before I do, though ;)

15. elteye

elteye Commercial User

Jul 12, 2009
    Teye, luthier, owner of Teye-guitars
    There's a (excellent) movie about the Stones' 1969 tour: 'Gimme Shelter'. The concert fragments from the first half of the movie were recorded in late November 1969, towards the very end of the tour. Especially during the song 'Honky Tonk Women' you can see very well the imposing backline. I count 9 SVT heads, four on Mick Taylors' side of the stage; five on Keith and Bill's side. Apparently one head each was used while another stood ready on standby. The Stones had blown their backline earlier in the tour and were saved by members of the Grateful Dead who brought in their (much smaller) amps from the nearby rehearsal place. You can hear Mick Jagger ridiculing their amps ('someone gave us old radios') on a bootleg. The preferred way to have these early and volatile SVT's function during the shows was to switch them out and let them cool off, according to Rick Mandela, their 'official' Ampeg man and tech. I'm also assuming they used a set of SVT's for Stu's keyboard playing? Or maybe just more spares. In any case, several more SVT's were made in 69...

If you were an amp company trying to re-invent itself into the rock world, and the Stones decide to take your amps on the road, you would certainly quickly crank out a few more heads to back up those first five that the Stones used in rehearsal. Another real possibility is that the famous 'five' were not the only 5 in existence: that they were simply the only 5 available to Ampegs office on the West Coast: there may have been dozens more in Linden, in various stages of completion, or awaiting shipment.

BTW the guitarists used the SVT on top of two Colossus (or whatever name those ss amps had) cabs loaded with four Altec 417's. What later became the early (pre-towel-bar) V2 cab. The SVT provides a great snarly pissed off guitar sound with those cabs. It is about as silly to use the SVT for guitar as it is silly to use a Fender Bassman for guitar...

The 100W V4/VT22 came along later: Ronnie Wood in the Faces had double V4 stacks. The Stones had V4's besides their usual V2 cabs starting in '72 I believe, sitting in their usual SVT backline, to complement their SVT-sounds.

These are all fantastic amplifiers, for either guitar or bass. If you don't believe me, try. Just put a cab underneath that can handle your specific needs. And they DO need to be cranked for correct sound! (No master volume 'sissies' here ;))

The V2/VT40 was Ampegs attempt at the half-stack. Strangely enough, these amps have the exact schematic of the V4 with half the output tubes EXCEPT that they run about 50 more Volts to the plates (590 instead of 545, but I measure even more) which gives them a sound all their own, and 20% more power. They are also known to fry poorly made tubes. Newer 7027's may or may not take the extra abuse. I challenge you to stick NOS big 6L6 (Sylvania or Phillips, not the smaller GE) and bias them correctly, and see if you can do the blindfold test with 7027's...

Anyway, I love these amps and love the Stones from that period, and wanted to chime in on the forum.
    BTW Keith's sound: on what remain my favorite Stones recordings (Let it Bleed, Yayas, Sticky Fingers), Keith never used a Tele: it was all 3 pickup Les Pauls and Dan Armstrongs and semi-acoustics. The Tele came in for the overdubs of Exile on Main Street, after all his favorite guitars got stolen in France. Yes, a Tele will give you the later Keith sound. But the rauchy late-60's/early 70's stuff is all Tele-less. That said, Keith will always sound like Keith, and is a virtuoso in getting great sounds in the studio. That intro of Midnight Rambler... and Gimme Shelter, both done on a horrible Austrian or Italian semi-acoustic that broke after the 'money' take, into a Triumph solid state amp that was brought to the edge of meltdown?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, you've done your homework, bro ;) Best newb post ever!

17. elteye

elteye Commercial User

Jul 12, 2009
    Teye, luthier, owner of Teye-guitars
    JimmyM you make my day! Thanks.
    You see, it was 1969, I was 11, sitting with my dad in the family car in the Netherlands, Honky Tonk Women came on the radio, my life changed forever. I've been pretty obsessed with THOSE SOUNDS ever since. Just this afternoon, I repaired a 1969 Ampeg B25B that my buddy found in the bulk trash. It's working and sounding great.
    Those big Ampegs just have 'something', and to use them nowadays you either need to have a good amp tech, or you need to educate yourself. I'm Dutch, I'm cheap, and I do my own repairs! (and it's a LOT of fun to stick $100 parts in a free-from-the-garbage amp and see it come alive...)

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm trying to learn amp repair, mainly for fun...but while I can get the theory down and understand it, I can't solder worth a crap no matter how much I practice. One day I'll fix old trashed Ampegs...wont' be any time soon... ;)

19. Just remember JimmyM, start with a clean iron tip each time, apply a small amount of fresh solder to the tip, that fresh solder needs to contact both items to be soldered. Apply the solder to the oppisite side from the iron, when the components are heated enough the flux flows first to prepare the components then the solder bonds the joint. Use electronics solder only, acid core solder will distroy what you are working on. Hold the joint till the solder solidifies. One more thing, soldering is an electrical connection, not a mechanical connection so wires or components into lugs should be wraped to provide mechanical strength. :)
    What did I do with that mil. spec. cert.? :meh:

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, so what do you do about my shaking? ;)