1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1972 P bass "A" Neck Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aragorn35016, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Id like to think im pretty on the up and up on Fender values, but not on pieces of Fenders, I have an opportunity to go check out an A neck P pbass "neck only with tuners". He has no pics to send to me (he only lives about 20 min away) but he verified that it is stamped as an A Neck (I cant remember what month and day he said) of 1972. I want to say he said the quality stamp was Armento? I couldnt understand what he said over the phone. The guy wants 750 for it. my gut says thats a little steep on price but I could be wrong, thought Id get the consensus from the TB community before I even go look at it.

Thanks!

John

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At $750.00, you're almost all the way to a new American Standard which are as great a new bass as you'll get for that classic Fender tone.

Plus, parts basses are still parts basses. Numbers matching instantly has more value.

3. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    I would find out how he got it... I will never support people who part out old basses!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. cavscout19d

cavscout19d

Mar 17, 2010
    +1!

5. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Thats my angle as well my practical nature is screaming at me to stay away from a 750 dollar neck. The only reason I even considered it is that I have a 50s p bass I've had for 6 years and after playing my spector, the neck on the p is just to wide for me. As far as where it came from he said he got it 20 years ago and it was attached to a parts bass at that time.

6. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2011
    It's health is a major concern and a factor in value.