1978 USA Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I found a 1978 MIA Musicmaster bass at the local Guitar Center for $699. I don't know anything about this bass but am interested in the short scale. The input jack has a short but the rest of the bass looks fine. Is this a good price for this bass?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Probably a little high for in the US, i recently saw one go for not much more than that here.

That being said i really have no idea :p

3. man for that cash you can get a nice used Mustang or Jag

4. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    if that were a mustang, yes. musicmaster, not so much

5. yeah i would pay 500$ for a mint one , if i wanted one. there is one on here for 375$ its not mint but hey its a player

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    anyone know why this being a vintage fender MIA they aren't worth a lot?

7. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Because it's not a Jazz or a Precision. The other models usually go for a lot less- especially late 70s, unless they're super-rare.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They were generally considered beginner basses at the time and aren't nearly as sought-after as 70s Js and Ps..

9. There shortscale which is not as wanted and they were aimed ta beginners basically these were viewed as squier of the time period, i think musicmasters were discontinued when squiers first came out

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I got my '78 at a pawn shop in '08 for $400 (talked them down from $600 - must have been there for a while).

I saw a similar one at a store more recently for $800. (But to be honest, that store is kind of lame.)

Since they are an entry-level model (the bridge & tuners are pretty cheesy) I wouldn't expect them to ever fetch as much as a P, J or Mustang.

Mine does have nice mojo, though. (I expect it will go up in value eventually.)

11. My first bass!!! Got it new back in '77. Very entry level and small. Great bass for a beginner kid but not much else. There is a cool vibe to having one now that they've been out of production for over 1/4 of a century.

12. hankazoid

hankazoid Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    DOT, Mass.
    Musicmasters are getting harder to find at the $500 range. They've been steadily going up the past couple of years.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    WOW!! That's just silly. I sold them new (Fender dealer from 1977-1988), and they were great beginners' instruments because they were well-made and pretty reliable, but $500 for one now is just ridiculous. Cheap tuners, a problematic bridge, and the Musicmaster guitar pickup just don't calculate to $500.

But it's an old Fender so the market is utterly unconnected to the value of it as an instrument...

John

14. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Too expensive. You shouldn't pay more than $400-550 or so

15. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you very much for all your comments! I learned something about another Fender bass...

16. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    My first bass was/is a 1978 (I think) musicmaster. I still have it, although being an ignorant teenager I re-finished it and replaced the pickup so it isn't worth much anymore. However, it does kick some a$$ now. It has a SD 1/4lb pup in it and it sounds awesome. Thumpy growl.

DSCN4893.jpg

17. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Pics? Here is my black one I got off CL last year. I think I gave 375.00 for it. Don't have a pic of it by itsel so excuse all the other 4 bangers. :smug:

100_0952.gif

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Yep entry level beginner bass, But they have a huge sound ! I have a '78, great little bass, my main axe ? Naw but still a whole lot of fun. Try and talk GC down they are desperate to move stuff even vintage. I just bought a unbroken '76 Thunderbird with swapped pickups for $800.00

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I had one but recently sold it (for $600, IIRC).

It is a cool piece of history, but I couldn't get a usable gig tone and sold it. Some love them (and Mustangs) but I just think P and J basses gig and record better.

Personally, I would buy a used American or Japanese J or P for the same $$$.

20. Now I REALLY regret selling the one I bought for $100 in 1981.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021