1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II RB 960

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by SMG, Jan 21, 2017.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Price:
    Strings:
    Price modification...$500 shipped CONUS

1985 Ibanez Roadstar II RB 960 with original hard case, in very good condition. All original.
    Has a bit of player ware, but not much considering the age...30+ years old.
    • Duo soapbar pickups
    • Volume and tone control for each pickup (Les Paul style)
    • "Carved" style top
    • Bound top
    • Either active pickups, or active preamp, or both (it does use a 9 vote battery)
    • Plays and sounds awesome
    • Mild wear for a bass that is over 30 years old
    • Case is in good shape, but has some stickers on it (which is how it came to me)
    When I bought this (late 90's), I was looking for an RB924, but hadn't found one, and had never seen one of these before. To this day, this is the only RB960 I have seen in person, though I have seen pictures of several others.

$500 shipped CONUS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    OnederTone, Uncle K, feschyn and 10 others like this.
  2. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I had one of these some years ago and liked it a lot. If I recall, it's active pickups and passive tone controls, so the battery just powers the pickups. Which is a great scheme. I know some folks who rig up active EMG's with passive tone controls and love that combination.

This one looks like it's in very nice condition. The gold plating is still hanging in there on the hardware and the nylon tuner shaft washers are still intact. Those are the two things that tend to wear the soonest on these.

Can't believe how clean that case looks. Stickers are easy to remove if unwanted.

feschyn likes this.
  3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Damn this sight and all its temptations!!

feschyn and tat2clod like this.
  4. Damn - always wanted one of these. They always pop up when I have no cash.
    GLWTS. If it's still around in a month or two I'll be on it.

feschyn and SMG like this.
  5. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    This thing is very cool. The original owner must have been from Boston judging from the stickers.

feschyn likes this.
  6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    That makes sense since I think I got this from Daddy's Junky Music when they were still around. They were in that part of the country, if I recall. (Bought a lot of stuff from them in those days...always sight unseen, just a phone description, and almost always was very satisfied with my purchase.)

7. Ugh!

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I was asked about the shape of the neck of this bass, specifically in comparison to a Fender P or Fender J. I measured the neck at the nut. The neck width is 1 9/16 and strings are 1 1/4 from E center to G center. In this way it is a lot like the 1975 J I used to own years ago. Unlike a Fender, it has an angled headstock and a volute, and the neck is black gloss like the body...typical of Ibanez basses the era. That all stated, I think the neck is shaped more like the aforementioned J I had then my 1973 P bass I still own.

9. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Ibanez has made some classy looking basses through the years!

10. Himedia

Himedia

Jun 6, 2018
    I bought a Rb851, which is an active Rb850 with four controls instead of three and is currently wired like your Rb960, Les Paul style, 2 volume and 2 tone controls. I wish I saw your post earlier... I didn't get a case with mine and I'm still looking for the original hard case which is a little different than yours. I even posted in the wanted section today. Are you by any chance willing to part with the case alone?

11. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Sorry, at the moment I prefer to keep the case with the bass.

12. Himedia

Himedia

Jun 6, 2018
    I don't blame you, that's a really nice bass you got there by the way

13. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I agree. I am just at the point of my life that I have to downsize.

14. Himedia

Himedia

Jun 6, 2018
    I think you are the only one that I've seen to have a Rb960. These are really rare. If you happen to have a few minutes, is it possible to take a photo of the pots behind the back cover? I'm really curios what kind of controls these came with originally. As I mentioned earlier I recently got a Rb851, which is configured same way as yours but came with pots made by "Alpha" and that's all it's written on the back of them. I would really appreciate it, as I've been looking everywhere and these are so rare. Thank you in advance

15. Tom92

Tom92

Aug 8, 2015
    Hey SMG Is This Still For Sale?
    Cheers

16. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Yes it is

17. Tom92

Tom92

Aug 8, 2015
    How much would it be to ship to the UK?

Cheers

18. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    This sweet puppy still around? Here's a free bump

19. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    It still is looking for a new home. I sought out the better Japanese basses for a while, and now I have to start thinning out all I have. This is a pretty cool bass, and one you don't see very often.