1988 Rickenbacker Question - Lazy Research

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Mar 31, 2016.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've been toying with the idea of a new bass, and I've got a few in mind. I just poked into the local shop and found a used Ric that spoke to me, so I need to start doing some research before I throw down the big money.

It was listed as a 1988 4001. The quick online looking I've done so far says 1988 should be a 4003. Is that correct? It looks like some "4003xx" models were produced then, but weren't bound had dot inlays. This had the fins and binding.

What else should I be looking for or be concerned about? Any specific quirks in this era?

Links to resources or suggestions for threads wil be appreciated. Okay, I'm off to google more things.

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    It's a 4003. The usual, look for excessive tail lift, mangled truss rod ends. Negative neck angle, where with the bridge all the way down, the action is still too high above the 12th fret.

monsterthompson likes this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Good to know. I've heard all of those complaints before. I need to go back another day with more time to investigate. I only had time to plug in and play. They had other models, new and used. This one seemed to have a bit of magic. Might need to sacrifice Dingwall quality production for mojo voodoo magic.

FranF likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022