1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1992lem Marshall head (price)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redfx2, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Redfx2

Redfx2

Mar 3, 2009
    At my local music store is a 1992lem head, it has been there for quite some time. I went in yesterday and after a few markdowns it is shown at $2299.00 seems like a nice price.
    the guy then said that if I was serious about it he could come down from there, I am thinking if I could get it for 2k or less it would be a steal. What doyou guys think??:bassist:

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Go for it!

I love 100w Tube heads for bass.

3. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Since the Lemmys are so rare, it's a hard amp to shop around for. I just picked up a brand new one on ebay for a good bit less than what the retailers usually sell them for, but it has a couple of dings in the tolex. I haven't received mine yet, so I don't know much about it as of now, but I'm super excited to get mine!

Michael

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

IMO that's a lot of money for a 100W amp that will be barely gigable with any real drummer. However it's your money spend it as you will.

5. Redfx2

Redfx2

Mar 3, 2009
    Phish, congrats on the 1992, what cab will you be using with it?

6. Redfx2

Redfx2

Mar 3, 2009
    Bassman Paul, explain "barely gigable"

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It's a 100W amp. These days that's not much more than a practice amp. If you want tube that two grand will buy you much more. Some of us, like JimmyM, can gig with a 50W amp but for most of us it would be too little.

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It works for Lemmy... and he doesn't exactly do the whole "Low end" thing.

9. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    If you look a couple spots down the page, you'll see my thread asking for advice on cab choices. :D

As far as saying that it's barely gigable, that's a broad generalization. It completely depends on what you run it through and how much PA support you have. As has been said, Lemmy uses two of these without PA support a lot of time and Motorhead is VERY loud. The one review I could find on the Lemmy setup said it was tear your face off loud. I've had 200 watt tube heads that were a lot louder any ss heads I've owned.

Michael

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Yes Lemmy does play loud but he is going for that distorted sound and he has a plethora of speaker cabinets. He also uses more than one amp head.

The OP asked for thoughts and I gave him mine. Whether of not other folk agree is besides the point. This amp has been sitting in a music store for quite some time. When this happens it's usually for a reason. I gigged with a 50W amp and a 4x12 Marshall for years. That was forty years ago. Now I'm using 4x10s and 900W.

I think it would be sad for anyone to spend two grand and be unhappy with the result of his purchase. He would also, most likely, not be able to unload this amp for anywhere near his cost collectable amp or no.

11. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Congrats on the amp, I love Marshalls. I do think it's way overpriced though- you could probably find a Marshall VBA400 for that much and I would think it could deliver 4x the tube power of the Lemmy.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree with Paul, 100 watts is pretty slim pickin's, power-wise. Maybe through a bass 4x12, but I couldn't gig with that little power. And +1 to the VBA400 idea. Way more amp for the money, and still a Marshall. Just my 2 cents, but you're paying half that price for the Lemmy sig.

13. i think if the OP is after a lemmy sig head hes not after a clean tone with huge amounts of low end so 100W is going to be more than enough

14. A 100w amp will do you well if you can handle distortion, get those tubes past 12 o clock and the power tubes will start working over time, you'll get more volume at the price of saturating the tubes. I used a 100w superbass into an 8x10 and kept up with a fairly loud drummer vs a marshall 100w stack.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The old heads here will remember being drowned out by a 40 watt Super Reverb. Bass amplification has come a long way. If it's distortion you want then go ahead. But a variety of tones from clean to just gritty you need some watts. That's why Ampeg gave us the SVT. I used to use 6 10"s and 750w up against a fairly loud drummer while my guitarist used a 15w Bruno. Big clean tone but I needed the headroom. Live. Gigging.

I owned and gigged Marshall 100 and 200 watt heads. You have to have very efficient ported cabs to be competitive volume wise.

16. CJ_Horror

CJ_Horror

Aug 6, 2010
    Personally I would, but then again I'm a huge Motorhead fan and I never play clean. I'd crank that puppy to the roof through a 4x12 and unleash hell! And I play with a VERY hard hitting drummer (sticks, skins and cymbals broken every gig/rehearsal) and my band is FEROCIOUSLY loud (which, in my opinion, is the only way to be XD).

That said, if you want thumping low end then the VBA400 is definately what you're after. I'd have one in a heartbeat (with a nasty overdrive pedal of course). Powerful, versatile, awesome.

17. Have gigged in loud bands with a 50 watt tube head (still clean) without a problem...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    even though i can do most of my gigs with a b-15 and still have headroom, i used a v4b and a 73 810 for the first 12-13 years of my pro career, and never wanted for volume, even in the loudest bands i was in, and with little or no distortion to speak of. so while i've known paul for almost 20 years and totally respect him and his opinions, i say rock that 100w amp, but just make sure you use a big cab rig if you want to be loud.

19. The thread is so old he might have changed his mind about that by now.:bag:

I guess if you're going for that tortured sound it might sound just right but one 100W amp for loud metal, really????

20. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

Sep 18, 2010
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021