1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1993 Fender Precision Plus Deluxe - how do these stack up today?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I got a line on a clean example for $650 in the gorgeous Caribbean Mist / maple board combo described as ''Excellent condition, no dings or dents. Great action - comes with original hard shell Fender case''. research finds no big complaints yet plenty of high praise, but it's been a lot of years since these unique Fenders came and went, has anything equaled or even topped such a stunning package? my mid '80s Fender Power Jazz Bass Special may be in direct competition but it's ALL mega Jazz Bass from head to toe while the PPD seems to be a nuclear class powered PJ that doesn't shy too far away from the classic P bass sounds. and having a J-ish neck purportedly to die for doesn't cramp my style, nor does the lack of removing the neck to adjust the rod... lol geez these look sweet n clean! did these at some point sport Kubiki electronics?
    bottom line opinions, do these still get extra luv from Fender bass aficionados?

Model Name: Deluxe Precision Bass(r) Plus
    Model Number: 019-7600 and 019-7602
    Series: U.S. Plus/Deluxe Series
    Body: Downsized Alder Body
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood (019-7600) or Maple (019-7602)
    No. of Frets: 22
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.625" (41 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender Schaller Elite
    Bridge: Deluxe Plus with Fine Tuners
    Pickguard: N/A
    Pickups: 2 Silver Fender LaceTM Sensor pickups, (1 P Bass(r) and 1 J
    Bass(r))
    Pickup Switching: Pan Pot
    Controls: Master Volume,
    Pan Pot,
    Master Treble Boost/Cut,
    Master Bass Boost/Cut
    Colors: (706) Black,
    (715) Lipstick Red,
    (732) Brown Sunburst,
    (747) Carribean Mist,
    (773) Midnight Blue,
    (775) Midnight Wine,
    (780) Arctic White,
    (790) Blue Pearl Burst,
    (791) Black Pearl Burst
    Strings:
    Unique Features: Active Electronics
    Source: U.S.
    upload_2018-11-21_19-37-59.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    bumpin' for the holidays cos I know somebody will get drunk enuf to blurt out their thots lol

Low84 likes this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm no expert but many versions had a 1/12" nut.
    The 1 5/8" has my attention.
    I had 2 friends that had the 80's version.
    They sounded good but were incredibly heavy.

Bass V likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I believe those others were quite different than these early '90s upgrades, hence the 'deluxe'? I haven't heard complaints about weight re the PPDs yet, in fact the comfort factor rates high in most reviews due to a restyling of the body, and weight being so often an issue that if these were on the heavier side I'd imagine this would be a common theme. thanx for your comments!

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I owned one of these in the early 90s, red with maple neck. Excellent build quality, a bit sterile-sounding from my recollection. The bridge design was not to my liking, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it from what I remember.

My $0.02 only...

Low84 and Bass V like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what kind of rig were you running thru? did it have a good P's low end and thump?

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I owned several sets at the time: Trace AH350 with 2 cabs, a V4B with a custom built cab and a Session 4x10" combo. Trace brought the best out of that bass but it would not meet *my* idea of low-end thump. Obviously, YMMV.

Having said all of that, $650 with OHSC seems like a good price. These basses were not cheap back then. Not at all.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    so, not pure vintage but more 'modern' sounding has been the direction I'm coming to on these, and I want the vintage access included... do you think minor mods could bring that out?
    they were a bit pricey, even $650 is more than I'm thrilled about but for a superb Fender P with J goodness it's ok even if spending more is needed to get it into that happy place. I appreciate your input.

9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The pre-amp is based on Phil Kubicki's 2 stacked pots + 4+off switch (2 active/2 passive)18v Factor pre. Fender did a 9v 3+off (2 active/one passive) switch version and also this version with two stacked pots (no switch). They all have that very distinct Kubicki tone which one either is drawn to or not. I've owned a few Factors and personally love the way they sound, and studio engineers agree with me. I never use the passive setting - the active setting is a tone hammer. High quality build and underrated basses in my book which you are lucky enough to own for peanuts. When new, these were Fenders premier basses, just below a FCS bass.

Having said this - if you are considering removing the pre - I'll gladly take it off your hands.

SirMjac28 and Bass V like this.
  11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Two things - both pertaining to my own bias - need to be kept in mind here:

a) While "thump" and "vintage sounding" mean different things to different people and I would argue that they have more to do with one's technique and choice of strings, I would want a bass with passive electronics if I were chasing such a sound.

b) At that time I already owned an active Fenderesque bass - G&L El Toro - which did everything I needed it to and in a far more convincing manner (IMO) than the bass that we're discussing here. Had I kept the Precision I would've probably swapped in a set of old active Duncans (with switches) and called it a day. Lace Sensors were never my favourite offering on any instrument.

Once again, PPDs are fine instruments. What exactly you need to do in order to get it to perform well for your needs is not something I can comment on. Maybe you'll love it OOTB. A set of flats - I only play rounds - might be a step in the right direction for your needs as well.

My $0.02 only...

Bass V likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx! all excellent and interesting points, gentlemen, leaving me still sitting on the fence lol
    it's probably another 'never know til I try it thru my amps for a while' kinda thing, which on cheap basses is nothing, but dumping thi$ amount on an iffy which may need modding can be a bit um... challenging.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I wanted to buy one when they were new...but never did, played as bunch and really liked them all. $650 is way underpriced for a 30-year old US made Fender that for whatever reason isn't on anyone's radar. People are asking more than that for early 80s P Standards which are nowhere near as nice. That fine tuning bridge was also on the original Elites of the 1980s and my favorite Fender bridge ever. I would have already bought it by now...but that's just me.

JIO and Bass V like this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    me too, but I gotta get the $ from a different angle due to another bass priority I'm saving for and gotta hope it lasts til that happens ...if it happens. meanwhile this is fueling my wild desire.

15. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Hi,
    I had one of these. I loved the neck but I found the lace sensor pickups very anemic. Thick punchy and biting are NOT adjectives that I would describe. Mine was very light and easy to play, but the electronics really left a lot to be desired. I would more likely go for a used am std j or p for the same price range. At the time I was running a mark bass ii (still am ) with 2x12 cabs and my roadworn fender at the time blew this away.

Best of luck either way.

Bass V likes this.
  16. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I have the exact same bass but with a rosewood fretboard and it was my number 1 for 10 years, but I like active basses. Still have it, but I exclusively gig fivers. It's a great player, but better active systems have come out since. (Except lane poor modulus, imo).

Bass V likes this.
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Love these basses the quality is ridiculous I have a 1993 USA Fender Jazz Bass Plus Deluxe that I love so much I turned it into a closet queen.

JIO, ajkula66 and Bass V like this.
  18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I probably wouldn't do this deal. It's like a Fender that doesn't really have the old school vibe.

Low84 likes this.
  19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can fully understand that but fortunately I got my OSV covered re Fender bases and simply had the big one for this beauty, they didn't call it the 'boner bass' for nothing! lol but Fender has put out some spectacular product in the past which it seems most of us are yet to catch up to and this example was a new one on me.
    the seller just confirmed it's been sold to someone ready to jump so this will be a sad turkey day in my house for a minute but the birds are already dead and the pressure is off for now. I think these will haunt me til I find out with some hands on and this stunning Mist / maple mix is one for the ages.
    I thank all who've been willing to help figure this out.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I don't think the one you're looking at is considered to be the infamous (ugly) "boner", is it??