1x10? 1x12? 2x10? 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Teh_GoAT, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    So here is my dilemna.

For the next three years I will continue to be playing bass at my college. That means that I'll be playing small to medium gigs on a very regular basis. I need an amp of my own. There's two main options which I'm trying to decide between. A small combo (1x10, 1x12?), or a larger rig (Schroder 1210 w/ Kustom Groove/GK 800RB/B-2R?).

The "middle ground" in terms of price would be a Behringer 4x10 combo.

Price is the biggest factor here. I need to be able to pay for 3 more years of college, somehow. However, I don't want to sacrifice so much on quality that next year I will simply be buying an upgrade anyways. I'd rather spend the money now, initially (and deal with the consequences), rather then have to upgrade once a year for the next 3 years.

As for tone, I'm not too picky about what it sounds like. I'm also not terribly picky on the amount of power/volume that I'll get out of the rig. As long as it's loud enough to be a stage monitor I should be alright, most of the gigs will have a decent PA system.

I know I don't want anything larger than a 12", as I don't want to interfere with the PA at all.

So, is there a combo that will serve me perfectly for the next 3 years? Loud enough to let me hear myself overtop of a drummer and 2 guitarists? Sounding good enough to keep my poorly tuned ear happy?
  2. I like the new Fender Bassman 150. It is a 1x12 150 watt combo that will handle my Active Jazz 5 string just fine.
    The wedge shape allows me to place it at my feet like a monitor and the DI lets me run my mix to the PA pre or post eq. The street price is in the $450 range.
  3. try a peavey firebass or nitrobass (max700 or mac450 respectivley) with a 410tvx cab

can be picked up fairly cheap, especially second hand, will work for for gigs, reliable as hell, thats what id suggest anyway, but out of what youve said, i think a half stack is the way forward
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd look into Genz Benz, Ashdown, or Eden combos.
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You might look into amp micing into a PA system.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd focus on one thing first, say the cab (schroeder 1210, EA wizzy etc.), then purchase something you can live with (preferably used) for a head. Otherwise, you will probably wind up compromising on all aspects of your rig and be happy with nothing long term. Just my opinion.
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've been doing lots of research into similar rigs, and you can actually get an Eden Nemesis Silver combo in that same pricerange.
  8. Why do you exclude the very good 2 x 12
  9. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    Unexpected financial difficulties suggest that the smaller combo will be the only option for college.

These are my current choices:

Ampeg BA112 (heard that 50 watts really isn't very impressive...)
    Ashdown MAG C210T-300 EVO II Combo (problem: I live in Canada, no dealers are close by. I love the look of her though, with the blue speakers and whatnot. Heard reliability might be questionable)
    Fender Bassman 100 or 150 Combo (haven't really heard much about them, but I'm willing to listen)
    Roland Cube-100 (friend recommended. good tone? price?)

I'm not a fan of Peavey tone.
    I don't want a cheap ripoff brand.

Any other options I should spend far too much time looking into before I have a chance to go amp shopping?
  10. Leeum

Aug 21, 2004
    England, UK
    Seconded, i've just got to find a second hand Firebass 700 now :meh:
  11. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    I've played on two Peavey combos in the past. I didn't like either of them. I don't like the look of them either. I don't appreciate their tone.
  12. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I would check out the Avatar cabinets first. As someone else suggested, select a cabinet and then go for a head. From what you describe it seems like a 2x12 or 4x10 would be a good bang for the buck purchase. I personally like small cabinets I can carry in one hand, but that comes at a price if you want a lot of speakers.

Avatar has a deal on a Ashdown Mag head if you buy a cabinet from them. The Peavey head someone else mentioned is probably bullet proof. I would seriously consider a GK head as well, but they sometimes have quality issues.

One suggestion is to buy a 2 x 12 Avatar 4-ohm cabinet and then run it with the Ashdown Mag 300H amp they sell at the Avatar site. Run you less than $600 with shipping. Check out the Harmony Central reviews on this gear.

13. Im not a fan of the combo's either, but love the firebass with a 4x10 cab, i think it might just be the different speaker setup that makes all the difference

On saying that tho, peavey combos sound a hell of alot better than ashdown ones (IMHO)
  14. Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    Gr... latest update.

I want a combo, one that's good for practice/stage volume. Not for an entire gig, just monitor.

The local shop that I'm at right now has the following options that I'm very interested in.

Fender Bassman 250
    Yorkville XM200T
    An old 210 SWR Combo (Workingman 300..?)
    Roland Cube 100

The SWR is $500 (CAN), the other two 210's are priced at $900, and I'm not sure of the price of the cube, but it's sure to be cheaper (1x12).

Thus, my question is this. For what I'm doing (see first post), will the Roland Cube be enough? Will I be satisfied? Or do I NEED to get a 210 combo to break through a drummer and a couple guitarists? Price is definately an issue here. I need to be able to afford to live, but I can't live without a bass amp.

Thanks for the help thus far. Please keep suggestions to those that are listed. I don't have the availability of anything else, ok?
  15. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Check into the SWR combo.

Also, it sounds like your local shop has really bad prices - the Yorkville is $560 at Musician's Friend (USD, but the Canadian dollar isn't as weak as your prices say), and I've heard lots of good things about it.

Play them all out since it's at a local shop and go home with your favorite. They should all have enough wattage to use as a stage monitor in most situations, so it will all come down to which one you like best.