1X12 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut, Jul 1, 2004.

1. I am looking to purchase a 1X12 cab

I know the Aguilar 112 is very popular and costs $399

but Bergantino, Epifini and EA also make some pretty sweet looking 1X12 cabs, but I'm not sure what the pricing is on those, I don't really want to spend over $500.

so my question: how to do the cabs differ in sound, and is the Aguilar a good choice or would you recomend one of the other ones. and any info you wish to share on the topic. thanks.
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    At Aguilars website there is a link to a 1x12 shootout from Bass Player Magazine.
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    What kind of music are you playing and what kind of sound do you like? What kind of bass do you have?

4. personal taste will determine what's worth the extra money.

for me, i was hooked on the bergantino HT-112 the first time i played through one. i waited and saved, and i waited some more until i found one used for $425 with a cover. nothing else would have satisfied for me.

still, plenty of others have used and loved the GS-112 or the NYC T-112. if you can't try any of them, perhaps you should consider waiting until you can or buying something you are more familiar with. as much as i love my HT-112, i can see how other people wouldn't, so you have to try it first or use the search and read a lot about them.

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I love my Aguilar GS112s. In Bass Player magazine's "shoutout" last year, up against the Bergantino, Epifani and Eden 112s (and others), they "edged out the competition" and took the top honors. Having tried most of the others myself, I agree. And at $399 they're less expensive than the Bergie and the Epi...expect to pay at least $200 more for the Epifani. That'll get you half of another GS112.

Here's the link to the BP article:

http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/press/reviews/BP Review March 2002.pdf
  6. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    here here.....love my 2 GS112s. use both for louder practices/shows or use one of quieter ones.
  7. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Bass Central sells the gs112 for $360 plus shippng.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are a lot of happy GS112 users out there. It captures a certain tone that many bass players strive for. However, my personal preference is for a more uncolored, midrange-articulate cab. To each their own, of course. Believe it or not, there is a ton of variety in how the various 1x12's sound. To my ears, the variety of offerings in modern 1x12's are much more distinct and individual sounding than, say, the variety of 4x10's that you used to see 5-6 years ago. I have not heard the EA CxL-112 (shocking, I know!) or the Accugroove Tri 112L, but from what I know of the rest of the gear made by these two companies, those two would likely vie for my top honors in the "1x12" category (even though the Accugroove has a total of 3 drivers).

I prefer cabs with an accurate, uncolored sound, with good balance and articulation across the useable frequencies. I find that this provides me with more options not just for yielding a variety of tones (and I play a wide variety of music), but also for dealing with room/stage anomalies. That said, other folks like to have a "signature sound" that they can nail just by plugging and playing. While I find that I can get "my sound" quite easily with EA or Accugroove cabs, many folks love the Aquilars in this regard. To strike a middle balance in this equation, I find Epifani cabs to definitely have their own sound, or coloration (at least compared to EA or Accugroove), but to also have more midrange articulation and better balance than the GS112. Still, the Epi T-112 by itself lacks a bit in the upper-mid department for my likes, which is why I like to pair one or two T-112's with a T-110UL. This is really a wonderful combination.

Another great combination is the Bergantino HT112/EX112 stack (or just two HT112's). The Bergies have some of the best midrange out there, and the smooth and detailed high end that you expect out of Bergies (or Epi's). I do find one HT112 to be somewhat lacking in the low end department, though. Compared to a T-112, it's not even close. However, an HT/EX stack is fairly comparable to the T-112/T-110UL combo.

Yet another 1x12 that I have to mention is the EA Wizzy. This little marvel has no tweeter, but with its wizzer cone, you will have more high end than you think (just not the sparkly high stuff). It is another cab that excels at midrange, although with a warmer tone to it than the HT112 (which I would describe as more "hi-fi" in comparison). The Wizzy somehow combines the "old school" warmth and roundness with excellent clarity and articulation. It is a very lightweight cab that really puts out a lot of volume for its size/weight. Of course, the unpowered Wizzy is a 4 ohm only cab, so this will be a factor.

Finally, you may want to consider some of the 1x12's from the smaller manufacturer's out there. A lot of folks like the Avatar cabs (which I have not heard). Dr. Bass makes some exceptional cabs (I own some prototype 2x10 and 1x15 cabs from him), and others have posted about his 1x12's. Don up at Low Down Sound in Detroit is a true craftsman as well, and I have heard many of his cabs, including several different takes on the 1x12 design. I tried a high-power "GS112-like" model, as well as one with a coaxial design (which I loved, but which didn't handle a ton of power - at least that particular model didn't). Any of these manufacturer's (as well as Joey Nahas, if he is still making cabs) are also well worth considering.

I did try the Eden 112XLT, but to be honest, it did not impress me. To be fair, I had just been listening to Epi and Bergie 1x12's, as well as the various long-throw 8" cabs up at LDS, so it was up against some stiff competition. FWIW, I do own (and probably will be selling) an Eden 212XLT, which I happen to think is one of their best sounding cabs (along with the T-210XST, but that is a different story...).

Hope this helps, Tom.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I agree.

When you look at the accugroove 112, the older model is about the same size as a 210, and for my tastes I would just get the 210. The newer one is smaller. I was disapointed in the Ea 112 (as with the Iamp800 as well), it just sounded dull to me. I A/B the Ea 112/210 against the berg ht12/ex12 and the berg stack got louder before breakup and had a better sound to them to my tastes. For some reason I just dont like the sound of eden and aguilar cabs (but I love their heads and pre's). I bought the berg 112s before I knew of the name. I liked them right off. Havent played the epi 112s. Cost and your tastes/needs will/should determine the right one for you. There are a lot of nice cabs out there these days. Good luck! in your search.
  10. +1

the first time i played an HT-112, i was using an eden head and i loved the tone and control. when i played my former peavey max or ampeg svp-bsp and crown K2 through eden 210 and 410 cabinets, i didn't like them at all. i've enjoyed a mesa walkabout before, but both it and the old iAmp 350 were indistinct and meh through the GS112.

11. thanks for the responses, I have played the Aguilar and enjoyed how it sounded. it is a more colored cab but I found it matched up well with my SWR SM-500. I would like to give some of the other ones a try though. mabey I will have to plan a little day trip up to seattle and visit Bass NW. it would probably be worth the 2 hour drive to find the perfect 1X12 cab for me.
  12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    What you have found here is people with different likes/dislikes based on certain expectations of what a cabinet should sound like. Since none of us really know your expectations, trying them out is really the best solution. .. and there is no better place to do it than at BassNW. That being said, for your budget, I think that you will really enjoy the EA Wizzy 112. as you might know, I am affiliated with EA and perhaps a bit biased, but my affiliation is based on the fact that I love their gear. Just as Craig Garfinkel is associated with Aguilar because he loves their gear

When you are trying out the cabinets, think of not only how they sound in the store, but how they will sound in the ensemble. Cabs with a lot of bottom often get lost in the mix as they sit on the bass drum and cabs with too much high-end often sound brittle. Even they they cut through the mix, you might always feel that something is missing. here is a little test, play every note on the bass, slowly - try to hear certain frequencies or ranges of notes that are louder than others. By doing this you can see what purpose the designer is trying to accomplish with their design.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One more thing ...

how much different do you think Vic Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Michael Manring or Marcus Miller would sound with each of these different cabs?

Just some food for thought
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't have a heck of alot of experience with the 1x12s with exception of Ampeg and Boogie. My Walkabout with the 12" speaker is crazy cool, and has much more low end than you'd expect out of a 12. They manage to cram a 12" speaker, horn, and passive bass radiator into a 37 pound box for $499. The Boogie gets my vote.
  15. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Wow, great thread. I have been searching on this topic for a few weeks and there is some great info on some other "112" threads here. One thing that has not been noted here is the power efficency of the different cabs. I believe that the Aguilar is more efficent, meaning more volume (db) per Watt of input power. I believe that the Epi and the Berg are less "efficient".

I loved the comment on where the sound of the cab fits into the mix. We sould not simply think about what "sounds good" to us in a small room without other instruments playing, but what would sound good in a club with other instruments and noises going on. I wonder if the comments on another thread about the Berg not having as much low volume as the Epi would make it maybe not sound as "good" to me in my room, but maybe it would work better in the mix...and then there is the difference in how a cab sounds at 5 feet and 25 feet. Makes me wonder if what "sounds good" to a bass player, alone, 5 feet away, may not be the way to pick one of these.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

remember also that a large room and/or a hollow stage will add bass (boominess) to the sound.
  17. i think that sounds like a good combination, especially since you have played it together. so many people post questions about gear they've never tried, or how they spent $1,000 on their rig and hate how it sounds. i say get it because you like it, but i also encourage much experimentation since you live so close to bassNW.

incidentally, i am beginning to think SWR gear may be like eden in that i don't like the cabinets, but i like the heads. i've never played an SWR amp without an SWR cabinet. they're always merchandised that way with no chances to combine.

18. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I chose my GS112s based on input from this forum. I was looking for a 'scooped, old school' sort of sound. The combination of frequency response, efficiency and size made me drool. I bought a pair. Then another pair. They have enabled me to replace my 410/115 stack with a pair of 112s. I have never sounded better.

19. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Funny. I like swr cabs but dont like their heads. :p With that said, I bet the sm500 would sound good with the aguilar 112 cabs.
  20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Exactly my experience. But Mike Dimin makes some excellent points, specifically that you really need to try them all, or as many as possible, before you form your own opinion. Everybody digs differently, dig?

Also a great point...unfortunately it's not practical to expect to be able to try various cabs out on a gig. In fact pert near impossible. So when trying 12s in a store environment, don't just stand right on top of the cabs. Make sure you get back as far as is possible. 12s tend to "throw", man. Most importantly, use your own amp for the trial! If they don't have one of yours (and I do mean the exact same model), then bring your own. It amazes me how few people do this.