1x15 - 4x10 stack question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themacinator, Mar 22, 2011.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,385 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    If you run a set up like this do you put the 15 on the bottom or the stack or on top of it? Looking for a general consensus here.

2. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I had the 15 on the bottom back in my stack-having days. I think that's just how I always saw them set up. It makes sense to have the more focused sound of the tens up closer to ear level to me, although if you're well monitored that shouldn't make a difference.

3. I've had it both ways and like the 15 on top - but really a single 15 with two 10s is a much better and more balanced sound to me.

4. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    OK so 1 vote for bottom and 1 for top so far. Hmm...quandry here.

5. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I always put my 15 on Bottom...

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Try it both ways and make your own decision as to what you like best.

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I prefer the 15 on top, and the 15 on bottom.

8. It actually 'feels' to me that a 15 on the bottom couples with the floor too easily and gets too boom-y and indistinct. On top it just pushes air more directly at me as I'm playing without all the muddiness.

That way the 10s just push the air, flapping my socks and getting to the audience more.

Actually - I feel the 15 is for ME to hear and the audience gets the 10s for themselves.

9. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    I was leaning more towards the 15 on the top. Maybe for the reasons Surfer Joe has listed. Bag End cabs so I think either way will sound good, but I want it to be better than good. ;-)

10. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I was just having this problem myself. I have an Ampeg 410HLF and an Ampeg 1x15. I always saw the 15 on bottom. It seems to be the norm. I think it looks nicer, and flows better. The problem I was having is that the 15 and the 410 are so different in shape. The ports on the 410 makes the stack look so awkward, because the 15 is such a small cab. I guess just see what sound works for you. But if you run into the "this stack looks strange" problem, you'll be in the same boat as me! If it didn't kick ass and move the earth while I play through it, I wouldn't be stacking them. The 15 also has 4 wheels and I don't want to take them off just so it'll stay put on top of the stack.

Bag Ends will sound great. Maybe your "better than good" solution is to break away from the norm and reverse the stack. I say go for it!

11. This was posted a while back -a few months ago really - and I think it solves the riddle:::

Pyrimid.png

12. Nick901

Nick901

Feb 18, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    GTA dealer for Acoustic USA
    410 on top. It seems more natural.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I would always put the 1x15 on the top. It's the weak link in your rig and you should listen for sounds of distress from it. On the bottom you'll never hear those over the 4x10.

14. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I would put the 115 on the bottom, but not plug it in :ninja:

15. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    15 on the top. It will help drive that sound out further into the audience.
    But as for me I like to have matching drivers if at possible.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021