1x15 vs 2x10 what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jhclark, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I found this recently since I have always played 1x15 combos in the past and just got a sweet deal on a 2x10 and I'm having a tough time getting along with it, and didn't realize how much of a difference there could be between the two options!

Mine is an Ashdown, but I'll assume that a 1x15 ashdown would be as different from the 2x10 as the Ampegs are from each other in the video?

When I saw the video it hit me like a ton of bricks, like THAT 2x10 sound on YouTube is exactly why I don't like this amp I got! And it's super slick, made in England, birch ply, retailed at like 1500 and I payed $500 shipped brand new! I don't think I can find a 1x15 for the same price, so I might just be out of luck unless I can sell it?

Or is there a way to get that mid-hump to go away? It's literally giving me headaches and making it hard to practice. I must just be sensitive to the frequencies in that band? And to me, the 1x15 (at least in the video and in my memories) are more "open" sounding and a bit more natural, like less band-compression?

2. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've always preferred a 1X15 to 2X10 and I've tried various brands and configurations over the years. Got rid of heavy rig recently to ride off into the sunset with a combo that'll meet my needs. I preferred the sound of the Rumble 200 due to its 1X15 over the Rumble 500 with the 2X10s. I just pulled the trigger on a Blackstar U250 over the U500 for the same reason. All four were plenty loud enough for my needs, but the 15 inch speakers just give me the sound I want! Yes - I'll be having a NAD in a few days!! :D

mbell75 and Jhclark like this.