1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 flat questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassistgook, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    What do you guys feel are the brightest flats? Also does anyone know if they make a coated flat? I'm sure a coated flat would last for ever.

2. D'Addario Chromes are really great. They have great mids, treble (but not too much) and low end. Just type Chromes in the search box and you'll get a bajillion answers. As for coating, it doesn't really matter. Flats last forever regardless.

3. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    +1

Just switched to flats for the first time, after playing rounds for over 25 years. Went with Chromes based on the general raves about them here on TB. They have a great reputation here.

They sound brighter and sustain better than I ever dreamed flats could, while still emphasizing the round bottom and strong punch of flats as the primary characteristics of their sound.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'll heap onto the Chromes bandwagon! Great strings with a lot of zip for flats, without losing the lows.

5. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I am currently using the roto flats. I am enjoying the feel and tone but wouldn't mind it being a little brighter. I play a 6 string bass so it becomes a little harder to find options for me. How do the daddario chromes compare in brightness to the roto's, and also curious about the dr hi-beam flats. I was using hi-beam rounds before switching to flats.

6. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I think Chromes are amazing. In my opinion they're really like a best-of-both-worlds string: they have some of the high-end sizzle of a roundwound string, but they also have some righteous mids and bottom end to boot, just like a good flatwound string should. They're the reason I switched to flats (and probably the reason why we have a Flatwound Ambassador here on TB)!