Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 hand tapping coordination

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by velvetkevorkian, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ok, for all you crazy tappers out there- how do you get to the point of being able to play different things with each hand? i can play stuff in unison (or 5ths, etc.) but when it comes to playing even simple independent stuff (say a left hand arpeggio with a right hand melody) i completely lose it. this also happens when i try and play piano, even really easy stuff (e.g "the adult beginner at the piano volume 1")
    any advice? just practice?
    or am i missing something? :help:
    cheers m'dears
    Kyle

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's similar to playing the piano, just a lot more uncomfortable. When I do it, I think of the song as a whole (in my head), and just play along. But, practice is the best thing you can do. Practice the different parts with the given hand, then put it together as best as you can.

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Play one of your hands parts (probably your left's) until you can do it without thinking. Then add in the right hand and OMG you're doing both at the same time.
    After you learn alot of tapping stuff then you won't need to think about each part seperately. BTW, USE YOUR PINKIES. I know alot of good bassists who never learn to tap with there pinkys (and your ring finger as it will become weaker than your pinky in the long run) and they suffer from it.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I haven't tried it in a few months, to be honest. I've been tapping for almost as long as I've been playing bass (2.5 years -- tapping caught my interest very early) but I couldn't do it. It never REALLY appealed to me anyway. I picked up Progressive Tapping for Bass Guitar a few months ago and started working on it this weekend, it seems like a really good book (I also started back at the basics, since now I'm tapping without those icky metal bars fuglying up my bass).
    My own written tapping parts are similar in concept to the first 40 seconds or so of Vic's version of Overjoyed in that the left and right hand parts aren't going off and doing their own thing that works out in the end like on a piano, but rather, the initial attack almost always runs separately so that the left and right hands aren't really moving independent of each other to create individual polyphonic melodies, but rather to create and support one whole melody.
    That said, I'm going to be giving contrapuntal tapping another go (or several tries) in the next few months. I might not personally find a use for it, but it's better to have too many tricks in your bag than not enough.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oh, and practice. A lot.

6. brungus

brungus

Mar 24, 2004
    i think about it as chords kinda. i play the song thinking about what both hands are doing at the same time, and then piece it together as if there one piece.

in otherwords i dont think of my right hand playing one note and my left another, i think of them playing both the notes at the same time.

7. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I'm offering this as a suggestion, not intending any disrespect to your tip , which by the way I think is helpful.

However, I think it may be counterproductive in some ways to approach two handed tapping like that. I think it's more important to approach it as two separate melodies, and get into the habit of hand independence. Approaching it the way you suggested makes the hands dependent on each other, which is ok if both the hands are playing in the same time signature. But for some more complex stuff it's often harder to do what you said if the left hand is playing a 3/4 and the right hand is playing 7/8. I would suggest getting some beginning drum method books which help teach indepenence between hands/limbs. Once you get used to the idea of hearing two melodies and playing them at once it lets you play a lot of cool stuff. I don't claim to have this level of independence myself, but i'm working on it.

8. yeah, i want to be able to do cross rhythms (i.e groups of 4 against groups of 3/triplets against duplets) but i just end up in unison, or all over the place. maybe the professors at uni will have some neat tips when i start there next week

9. i reccomend practise...pick out classical piano pieces....or just guitar parts, like classical gas, the guitar part to stairway to heaven.....might i add to get your polyphonic tapping underway learn stuart hamms version of linus and lucy (The snoopy theme) its a great song to help with left and right hand independance....but basically just look into some stuart hamm, any steve vai, jpe satriani with steve vai in it...i reccomend blue powder..that'll get ya motivated ;)

10. someone contact Jean Baudin; the cat's tapping stuff is insane!

from the lows,

Stew

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, Nuclear Rabbit is pretty cool.

I'm always thinking about picking up a touch instrument, like a megatar, or an ADG.

12. Yeah Someone Get Jean Baudin in this post he is truly incredible

13. I'm on it...

:p

from the lows,

Stew

14. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    okay, I just got an email from stew..... :)

You guys all have great advice here.

The only thing missing is that you must practice very slow.

the way I do it:
    1. know how each part sounds.
    2. figure out the best fingering
    3. practice both parts simultaneously - super slow.

If you still can't play it, slow it down more. Once you have it down start incrementally speeding it up until you can play it at the tempo you want.

15. I knew that guy would have some input!

Jean, you'll be happy to know that after hanging at NAMM I started fooling around with the two handed stuff again. I think I'm really going to get deeper into it when the 10 arrives!

from the lows,

Stew