2-ohms too low?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sparktone, Mar 3, 2005.

1. I'm set to buy a Yorkville XM200, which I think is a fabulous sounding combo for the money. I'm thinking, too, that for very little money I could later pick-up something like an Avatar 210 to fill out my sound. And if I get a 4-ohm cab, I'll be running a total of 2 ohms, which would allow me to use all of the Yorkville's 200 watts, which you can't do with just the amp alone.

Seems like most amp and cabinets run at 4 or 8 ohm impedance. Not being an electrician, I'm wondering if there is anything inherently wrong with a 2-ohm rig as long as the amp can handle it (which the Yorkville can).
  2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    If the amp can handle it, go for it!

you use the most watts aswell as more speakers
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my book, as long as the amp manufacturer says the amp is safe to use at 2 ohms, it's fine. if the amp blows while you use a 2 ohm load, the company should fix it for you.
  4. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I am currently waiting arrival of a Yorkville xm200 also. I currently own an Avatar 2x10 in 8 ohm config. Does anybody know how much power I will get out of the amp if it puts out 200 watts at 2 ohms? Should be a nice portable rig I'm thinking.
  5. 200 watts at 2 ohms should give maybe 120 watts at 4 ohms, which I'm guessing is what the internal load is. If you add an 8 ohm load to that you will come close to the 200 watts, but the 8 ohm cab wont be putting out as much grunt as the internal speaker.
  6. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Good answer, thanks. I think I could live with that. I might be weary of running the amp near full output at the min. load. Anybody know if the Yorkville xm200 has an internal fan?