1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2- Point Bridge for Lawsuit EB-3?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Hi all, got a query for any 70s Japanese bass aficionados in the crowd. I bought an old Aria EB-3 copy recently, and I'm looking for an intonatable 2-pt bridge to replace the original, non-intonatable bridge with. My question concerns the spacing, diameter and thread spec of the body inserts that the bridge is fastened to in its "as-is" state. I'm looking at putting a Supertone replacement on the old beast, and need to know if I'm going to have to do some reworking to do the install.

Thanks for your time. Here are pix... IMG_20160529_090411. IMG_20160529_091912. IMG_20160529_093901.

2. Brian Wright

Brian Wright "Oh, it looks good on you though!"

May 7, 2015
    Houston
    If you go on ebay and look at some of the Supertone bridges for sale, some of the sellers put very detailed pictures of the measurements. It helped me.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks Brian, I'll go see.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Count Bassie likes this.
  5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
  6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Gotta go get a pdf reader for my phone! Annnnnnd... I'll be back...

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
  8. 96tbird

You just need to measure from the outside edge of one bolt to the inside edge of the other to get the center to center distance and convert the fraction to decimal.

Brian Wright likes this.
  9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Nice, thanks.

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    OK, my spacing, with bride on and strung, as-is, is 3.175. The Supertone's is 3.26... I may have to do some shop work, but when I get a minute I'll unmount the bridge and have another look.

11. 96tbird

In these pics you can clearly see that one hole on the Hipshot is oblong adjustable with a Allen screw in the side of the lobe to assist intonation. The bolts heads are not a tight fit in the recesses. It should be no problem to file the holes to gain .085" clearance you need. Hipshot Supertone 4-string Bass Bridge Gibson 2 point Black 5G410B

Count Bassie likes this.
  12. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Are you the Hipshot guy? Lol! Nice man, thanks for the help! I'll likely order one in a week...

13. 96tbird

No. Just observant I guess.

Count Bassie likes this.
  14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Well you've been helpful man, I appreciate it. My hands have been pretty full and it would've taken a good bit longer for me to have pulled it together.

15. herb nice

herb nice

Sep 5, 2011
    Canada, eh?
    I have a shaller 460 new in the box I bought 5 or 6 years ago with the intent to put in a project bass, but never got around to. They were used to replace for Gibson 2 point bass bridges, but with nice adjustable string spacing, intonation, etc. way better than that Gibson 3 point in my pic over there <---.

what i have is just like this one: http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/uploads/bass/8/280138419378-1.jpg

if you are still looking for a 2 point upgrade, I could sell it to you for a reasonable price. pm me if you want me to dig it out and measure it. might be the 460a model, it has been a few years since I looked at it.

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    PM on the way... thanks!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  17. Assuming your dimensions are correct, and the center distance for the Supertone is .085" wider than the Aria, the small Allen screws in the Supertone (and probably the Schaller as well) will bear off-center on the posts by about .042" each. That may be enough that you can't use the Allen screws at all, with the possibility that you'll never achieve proper intonation.

That's not a foregone conclusion; it may work OK but it's something to keep in mind.

18. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for the point there. I played over the weekend though, after more or less adjusting intonation by moving the wood uni-saddle to hit the E and G strings in their sweet-spot, and it seemed to be adequate. Taking into consideration what this animal is, I think I may be alright without the better bridge...

19. I agree. If it's working OK then I see no need to fix it. The 2-point bridge works OK, but it's just OK. Not stellar. I have one on my '68 Gibson EB0. Again, works OK; just not as nice as a 3-point bridge.

Count Bassie likes this.