1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Questions: How'd I do? & How to play bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSz, Mar 9, 2008.

1. RichSz

RichSz

Mar 3, 2008
    Long story short, started playing bass in 9th grade, got in a decent band & learned to play songs...but never really learned to play bass. Switched to guitar my 1st year in college, played more songs but actually started to "learn" the guitar. Well, here I am at 37 yrs old, played in some fun bands along the way (bar bands all the way!) and have learned quite a bit about guitar (of course, still a long journey to go) but I am starting a 3 man (may turn into 4 man) project where I'll be playing bass. So this time I want to learn bass not just play bass.

Any tips for a converted guitar player?

Oh, and for my rig, I wanted nice stuff that could hold it's resale value (just in case).

So, for gear, I played a bunch of basses. Both the Fender P's & J's really felt nice but I fell in love with the StingRay HH. Picked up a brand new one (Honeyburst/Rosewood Board) for $1280 w/ free shipping from MF. Also picked up a Marbass 2x10 combo (CMD 210) from GC for $1150 out the door.

So far this rig really sounds great, IMO. How'd I do on the prices? Tried to do my homework on the web and seems like I did OK.

I look forward to more posts here as I re-discover this instrument!

-Rich

2. Rich -

Based on your background, I would suggest that you find an instructor. That way, you and s/he can map out a strategy and learning plan that fits what you want to do and where you want to go on bass.

As a stopgap, I would also suggest that you get your hands on the book, "Bass Guitar for Dummies." It's a great book that will help ground you in some of the theoretical concepts of the instrument.

[​IMG]

3. I struggled with trying to learn "what should I sound like" for years and found playing my guitar and then making a bass line is very fun and I learn the most.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    if you want your gear to hold its resale value, buy used from well-known brands.

edit: i'm retarded, and didn't realize that you already bought your gear. and it sounds like you did pretty well

5. You made good choices on your gear, great stuff that will hold up. But really if you were super concerned about resale value you would have been much better off buying the same stuff used. You would have saved between $500-800 depending on the deals that you found. The classifieds here are a great place to pick up great gear and good prices, just be careful, GAS will settle in.

lowsound

6. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I played guitar for almost two years before just recently switching to bass. My old guitar teacher is going to teach me for awhile...at least getting me to intermediate level But I wanted to tell you that I am also taking lessons online. I found this website....

www.workshoplive.com

The lessons are awesome. The instructors are really good. Lots of beginner to intermediate level stuff on there for bass. They just added a complete bass Jazz course. I just finished the 25 lesson beginners course and am now working my way through the rock course. I'm real happy with this site. The lessons are in video and feature animated on screen tab/notation and also have drums and metronome for practicing the exercises. This is about the best thing I have been able to find online.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, and welcome back to the bass!:bassist:

You did well on your equipment choices, and got decent prices on them. As others have said, if resale value is a concern, buying used is the best bet.

But since you picked a great bass and amp, I don't think that resale will be an issue, unless you find the bass you bought uncomfortable to play, or listen to.

And I second the ones who said to get a teacher!:cool:

8. Don't let anyone tell you "real bass players don't use picks"

9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    you did very well, im after that same bass at the moment and can only find second hand ones that cheap, does suck I live in the UK though and they are very hard to find over here for cheap, brand new im looking at £1200 ($2400)

10. bookmd01

bookmd01

Feb 28, 2008
    I'm a bass noob and saw the above post by shattered.
    I tried finding an instructor through the local music shop and was told: "Basses aren't like guitars...they're pretty simple--either you get it or you don't...nope, don't know any instructors."
    I was shocked!...I need to find some sort of instruction...anybody heard about this workshoplive place or was that just a spam post?

PS...no offense shattered!

11. Did a guitarist (ie. was the clerk a guitarist) tell you this?

12. bookmd01

bookmd01

Feb 28, 2008
    rofl...of course!

13. by the way real bass players dont use picks

jk :D

14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    +100000

I went through hell when I played bass the first time around because all I used was a pick. I got teased, berated, told I was no bass player or 'excused' for the 'stupidity' because I'm a girl.....:rollno:

Use a pick if you like, pluck if you like, or hybrid it (pick and pluck) which is how I eventually did it and do now...whatever is comfortable for you I say.

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sounds like your local shop is owned by a class "A" gui****......try another music shop,or start contacting the ones that list lessons as part of the offering of their shop.....

16. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought the stingray HH sold for more than that on MF? Did you haggle with them over the internet or am I missing something?

17. RichSz

RichSz

Mar 3, 2008

Yes, I sort of haggled with them...I haggled with GC first. Got a decent "package deal" on the bass & the amp. According to them they couldn't move on the amp, so they had to take any discount off the bass. One caveat, they couldn't get me the color I wanted (honeyburst) so they took a little more off.

Ended up calling MF to see if they could beat it. They couldn't but they would match it and they had the color I wanted. They did end up calling the store to verify and bingo...got what I wanted and a better price than is listed.

BTW, I love the way it sounds!

-Rich