2003 Black and Silver Pedulla Rapture 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacobw82, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jacobw82

jacobw82

Feb 1, 2008
    I have an opportunity to buy this bass for $850. It is a 5 string and I have only played on 4 strings since I started playing bass 13 years ago. I am just trying to get some feedback if this is a good deal. Also the sizing on this bass is .19 mm and with a 5 string I am not sure if my hands are big enough to play. I owned this exact bass in a 4 string 8 years ago. If anyone has played on a 5 string rapture can you tell me anything about it good or bad. I wont get to play this bass and I would be buying it just seeing the pictures. I want a pedulla so very bad and was just getting some info from those that have played them before. Any advice will help in this decision. FYI-I absolutely loved my 4 string rapture but had to sell for personal reasons.

Thanks

2. I have the exact same bass which i bought used for $1000 .Mine is also a 2003 production with the 19mm spacing. I love the bass, sounds and feels great. As far as going from 4 string to 5 string, some people have more of a problem than others. I bought my 1st 5 string after playing bass for 30 years, and admitingly it took a while to feel comfortable. This sounds like a great deal!!

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You shouldn't have a problem with the size of the neck as long as you use proper technique. I don't have huge hands and I only play 6ers.

4. jacobw82

jacobw82

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks guys,yeah for $850 i thought it was a steal considering its has one small scuff on the back and that is it. I think it will take a while to adjust to the 5 but I am looking forward to it! I have seen basses like this on ebay going for around 1200-1500 used so i figured it was a pretty good deal.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Definitely a steal.

6. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That's a great deal. If I saw it I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Wonderful basses. Good price, and I have never understood why Pedullas don't seem to do well in the aftermarket.

I wouldn't worry about hand size, unless your hands are freakishly small.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Do it before the guy comes to his senses and realizes what it's worth. Easily worth at least $200-300 more. If you don't like it, you could always flip it here in the classifieds and get something else more to your liking.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I have 2 Raptures (5 string 19mm J-J and 4 string single-HB) that I love. IMO the Pedulla 19mm neck profile is one of the most comfortable around.

The one thing you MUST check before buying--verify that the truss rod works and truss rod adjustment nut is not stripped. Pedulla uses a 4 sided truss wrench that is easily stripped by using a hex wrench. I found this out the hard way by buying a ThunderBolt 6 from eBay with a stripped nut.

Pedulla will not fix/replace truss (unless it's a neck-through) --you have to buy a new neck which was $600 or $800 last I checked.

10. jacobw82

jacobw82

Feb 1, 2008
    thank you guys I will definitely check out the truss rod situation. I bought this online not through ebay. I will definitely check that out though.

11. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Run, don't walk and get it.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It took me about 20 minutes to adapt to five strings when I switched. It was meant to be. I hope it goes like that for you.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What they said.

The Rapture 5 is my #1 recommendation for anyone making the leap to the mighty 5 banger.

Riis

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021